Care and maintenance

I tried to look this up and could not find it, but finally did an easy project. This is going to end up being addicting. I now know why people spend so much money on hobbies. As I was using my shapeoko a thought occurred to me. I have a lathe that I am constantly oiling down… putting non detergent oil, way lube parts. I live next to coast with salty air.

Looking at the screw drive and guides I’m not seeing any lube or coating. Is there some kind of coating or maintenance every 6 months I should be doing? Thank you guys. No regrets on being a part of shapeoko customers!

3 Likes

There are several threads about maintenance on HDZ and Pro rails and lead screws. So far c3d has not come out with a definitive maintenance guide. However Luke, the inventor of the hdz, has recommended Mobil Vactra #2 oil to on the HDZ bearings and I think to use it to wipe down the ball screws and rails. You can get a quart of it from ebay and possibly other sources. The Canadians seem to have problems getting it but if you in the US you can have it in a few days.

I think the rails have wipers to keep dust from accumulating but since I dont have a Pro I cant confirm that. I know the HDZ had wipers on the rails to keep it free and that is a place you need to clean. Just be careful about applying too much, almost every one that has an HDZ gets oil dripping on to the spoil board for a month or so on a new install. This oil is dripping down the rails and falls of the HDZ rails and onto the spoil board and maybe a project. So use the oil sparingly and do not over do it.

2 Likes

I assume you have the Pro

please see this tread

4 Likes

Thank you Mobil is actually one of my company 's customers. I was able to research this and get some good information about it. Thank you. I look forward to the next decades with this machine and its upgrades from carbide 3d

1 Like