Carve a pocket with a slanted bottom?

I want to carve a pocket that will drain water to one corner of the pocket, so I want a slight tilt in the bottom of the pocket. Is there a way to do this in Carbide Create?

I was thinking of mounting the workpiece with a small wedge under the corner that I want to the lowest point of the pocket as a workaround if a simple solution in CC is not available.

I don’t think there is a solution for CC free, you would need CC Pro for that.

Use multiple pockets along your slant and finish by hand.
So if your part is 10" long make each pocket only 1" long with each pocket slightly lower.

There is a gcodetools plug in for inkscape that has a contour feature that might do the job.

Mounting a small wedge is the most expedient solution.

Doing it in Carbide Create (not Pro) is rather tedious to set up — see:

Another option would be if you had a suitable V tool which was oblique enough to cut at the desired angle — I’ve done that for joinery, but it’s similarly tedious.

Doing it in Carbide Create Pro requires creating a much larger model than the inclined area and then setting the area around it to be equal, or drawing it up in greyscale and then importing a pixel image as a depth map.

2 Likes

If you have CC Pro, you can model from a grey scale rectangle that you can create in Photoshop or some other drawing tool…something like this:

which results in a diagonal drain that travels to the bottom right hand pocket (Note: This design had a pocket that was cut out, not modeled…so you would either have to model the bottom right corner or add regular milling to make the cutout)

1 Like

That doesn’t seem to have seen any development in the past 8 years:

IME, it was only useful for decorative engraving — do you have a step-by-step for using the contour features?

Interestingly, there’s a new tool at:

I think this is what I will do (wedges). The most accessible software option looks like it might be TinkerCad–create the box, then add a wedge and combine. I am waiting for some wood for the final product here, may play around with MDF to see what works.

Definitely always experiment with MDF/scrap.

If you’re inclined to use TinkerCAD you may find:

https://www.blockscad3d.com/editor/

of interest.

I used it to put together a library which emulates G-code:

and I’ve been working on using that with OpenSCAD Graph Editor:

and RapCAD:

It would be pretty straight-forward to make a file which would cut this — I actually blocked out making a module specfiically for such angled cuts the other day — if you’ll let me know the dimensions you are working with I could knock that out and provide a sample file, which would include generating G-code.

2 Likes

With wedges you can just use Carbide Create… If you want to model the slope another option is Fusion 360… Have fun!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.