CC Pro - 3D - Multiple Roughing Passes?

Is it possible to do multiple roughing passes now (3D toolpath in CC Pro)? I can rough with a 1/4 cutter, then finish with a 1/8. But that doesn’t give the detail I want. I need to finish with a 1/16 or 1/32. But that takes too long (1/4 rough, 1/16 finish). Can I rough with a 1/4, then rough again (REST) with a 1/8, then rough again (REST) with a 1/16, then finally finish with a 1/32? This would combine 3D roughing/finishing with REST (the option found only in non-3D toolpaths).

I searched and found this old post (from 2021), which says it’s not yet possible because CC doesn’t support REST. But now (2022, v7) it does. So are multiple roughing passes possible now?

No, 3D roughing passes aren’t considered when Rest machining is done in Carbide Create since it is done in the context of Pocket Toolpaths.

Instead, you can do multiple 3D finishing passes, w/ successively smaller tools.

I tried that but it doesn’t seem previous passes are taken into consideration. For example, I add an 1/8 inch roughing pass and the time is 80 minutes. I delete it, add a 1/4 inch roughing pass, it takes 40 minutes, add back an 1/8 inch roughing pass, and it’s still 80 minutes for that. The previous 1/4 inch pass isn’t considered. If I add an 1/8 finishing pass, the roughing pass is considered. But there’s no time saving when adding multiple roughing passes.

Same for multiple finishing passes. If I have one finishing (1/16), it’s 57 minutes. If instead I have an 1/8 inch finishing (22 min) and then a 1/16 finishing - the 1/16 is still 57 minutes.

You’re looking for “Rest” machining, and Wil said that Carbide Create Pro isn’t capable of doing that in 3d.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.