Choosing Endmill Helix Angles

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

As shown below Millalyzer can calculate the depth of cut (AP) that should smooth out cutting forces. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Does Millalyzer calculate a variance in cutting forces due to helix angles?

Yes - The lower image shows how they should change when endmill flutes are always engaged in cutting because the depth of cut (“AP”) equals the length of the helix (“Full engagement AP”)

3 Likes

I currently use your spreadsheet, which I enjoy, thank you.

Any opinion on the Millalyzer Dynamic vs Static? I suppose I’d like to pick up a copy to play with.

Thanks!

I have dynamic, but really haven’t used that feature yet - too lazy to figure out how I guess! But, its developer (like GWizard’s!) has a Shapeoko, so it should be interesting to see if he develops a good machine model for it/them. :wink:

1 Like

Note that this smooths out the forces on the machine but the forces on the endmill can still vary significantly. IIRC I was told you can click on the chart (left or right, I can’t remember) and switch it to the endmill’s frame of reference. When I did that with a “smooth” cut, it showed very different results for the endmill.

1 Like

Forces in the machine/workpiece frame of reference:

This means that the forces as seen by the machine structure beyond the spindle bearings, the workpiece and workholding fixture are essentially constant in time. That can be beneficial if the relevant flexibility is on this side (v-wheels and belt drive, I’m looking at you).

(This is an unequal-helix endmill, hence it can’t be completely flat).

Right-click and select “tool coordinates”:

Now these are the forces in the tool’s rotating frame of reference, so a flat line transforms into a phase-shifted sine. This is the force that is exciting the rotating part, endmill and spindle shaft, so this view is relevant for a setup where the relevant flexibility is there, e.g. when using a small-diameter tool or an anorectic spindle shaft.

3 Likes

Nice,

Those graphs show very clearly how the ‘constant force’ changes when you switch to a rotating frame of reference.