CNC Disconnecting

Does anyone else experience their CNC randomly disconnecting in the middle of a run? I can’t find anything causing it or any common factors when it happens. Doesn’t happen very often. When i does i have to restart the CNC in order to reconnect. If i try to reconnect without restarting it, i just get an error message.

Usually this is electromagnetic interference (EMI) — write in to support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist.

1 Like

Guaranteed 99 percent it is static. Moving bit, moving air, colder weather is a formula for static.

2 Likes

This makes sense. Thank you so much. I will get my humidifier going again and i bet that will help lessen the occurrence.

The humidifier may fix your static but the problems the humidity cause may worse than disconnects. The real solution is found here on the forum by grounding your router and dust collection hoses. Depending on how dry it is where you live the humidifier may work but the extra moisture in a woodworking shop can cause unforeseen problems like rust, mold or your work pieces swelling. If you live in the dessert or the frozen tundra the humidity may not hurt but in more moderate climates that are not frozen the humidity can cause problems. The best solution is to mitigate the static is with grounding.

5 Likes

I initially put the humidifier in my shop to help stabilize wood. I live in Kentucky where its tropical in the summer and dry in the winter. It hurts to breathe in the winter because it is so dry. I can feel the static on my vacuum hose on the CNC with my hand a good 5 inches away from it so you are right. I need to ground that thing somehow.

1 Like

This is what I did. Worked.

Grounding your Shapeoko - CNC Machines / Shapeoko - Carbide 3D Community Site

3 Likes

In general for electronic devices very low absolute humidity is bad for them as it allows for buildup of static charge that would normally leak away harmlessly due to moisture in the air.

One common set of guidelines indicates that -12C dew point or 8% Relative Humidity are a minimum operating humidity, these assume that anti-static precautions are in place for anyone handling equipment.

Depending upon just how cold and dry it is in your state, you may find that the warmed air in your shop is down near the 8%RH in which case the electronics may well start to glitch with or without you making static with the CNC. (about -10C and 50% RH outdoor gets you this low if the air is heated to 20C internally, that’s 14F and 70F in confusing units)
HTH

3 Likes

I did what @Zman suggests but another thing I did was inside my enclosure I hung a couple dryer sheets. Some have laughed at it but it is cheap and smells good LOL, proven to reduce the static inside the enclosure.

2 Likes

Those dryer sheets also work well under the front seat of your car/truck. The dryer sheets reduce the smell from dirty wet feet on your mats in the winter as well as other assorted smells from food and so on. So using dryer sheets has many purposes besides drying clothes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.