Complete noob! How to get started?

@WillAdams,

Thank you! That’s a great course and is also, thankfully, available on LinkedIn Learning (where I do have access). I’m watching it now.

I guess I’m confused about taking the G-code that HSMX generates and loading it into Nomad…

My Nomad hadn’t shipped yet so I guess I am preemptively panicking here :wink:

For sending G-Code to the machine please see the tutorial:

https://docs.carbide3d.com/tutorials/1-wrench/

that’s a bit out-dated (relies on Carbide Motion 3) and we no longer include the di-bond for cutting that (it’s messy) — perhaps one of the other tutorials?

Note that the wrench tutorial will be replaced by a tool-holder tutorial which is still in development.

It’s pretty straight-forward:

• make design
  • create toolpaths
  • generate G-Code
  • connect to machine
  • send settings (if necessary — I don’t believe this has to be done on a Nomad)
  • initialize machine
  • secure your stock
  • install the first endmill
  • set zero relative to the stock by jogging the machine to where you want to origin to be
  • load and send file

If you get stuck, just post here or at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to help

1 Like

So simple! Like I said, I’m so new at CNCing… I’ll learn fast!

@WillAdams, thanks so much!

Just to set expectations, I don’t think there’s a straightforward “SolidWorks for Nomad Dummies” that you could use. I think the overlap between SolidWorks users and Nomad users is quite small, as Nomad is a hobby machine and Fusion 360 heavily dominates among hobbyists due to the free option.

The best help I can give you is the post-processor for SolidWorks CAM, which will be 100% necessary for exporting G-Code.

Aside from that, you’ll have to set up the machine in SolidWorks (which should mostly be a matter of looking up specs) and find some comfortable feeds and speeds. If you’re working with metals, the Nomad (at least the 883 Pro, it wasn’t clear which Nomad you have) can be quite picky about those because of its puny frame and spindle (relative to the machines your pros are working on), so I’d recommend looking at Winston’s fantastic MaterialMondays videos to get an idea of what feeds and speeds to use.

All that said, you can also just use another program for CAM, like MeshCAM or even Fusion 360. You’ll have more resources available that way.

also once you have STL, you can use

https://fenrus75.github.io/FenrusCNCtools/stl2nc/stl2nc.html

in order to generate gcode for your shapeoko…

Or you can create a depth map using https://fenrus75.github.io/FenrusCNCtools/javascript/stl2png.html and then use Carbide Create Pro to put it in a more complex design

Note that @gregfridman has a Nomad which includes a license for MeshCAM tied to the machine — it will make G-Code for the Nomad from an STL.

1 Like

ah yeah meshcam is much more advanced :wink:

What version of Solidworks are you running? I have 2018 and found the CAM side a little clunky, Meshcam is likely a good option starting out but I’m not sure what filetypes it can import. I’ll have a bit of a play and see if I can help out at all (I have a shapeoko but it will be similar workflow).

Maybe best is to start with some pocket cuts and get the process sorted, then progress into complex models.

1 Like

I’ve just started playing with it but it’s actually really cool. In particular, it can auto-detect features for you and set up the toolpaths semi-automatically. Plus, tolerance-based machining looks interesting.

1 Like

@WillAdams, I see everything clearer now. Looks like my path is like so:

• learn CNC feeds-and-speeds with the built-in suggestions of the Nomad + MeshCAM
  • when comfortable, start playing with feeds-and-speeds of my own “design”
  • let the Nature take its course as I graduate to more powerful software and, perhaps, CNC machines.

I happen to be a member of www.nextfab.com here in Philly. They have a HAAS, running off SolidWorks + HSM Works. My dream is to make a cut on that machine and it looks like the path to that is clear.

Thank you very much for your guidance and wisdom

1 Like

@stutaylo, since I have an active license and I am who I am, I’ve been running 2021 since the beta :slight_smile:

Sucks that 2021 is not yet compatible with the latest release of HSMXpress but no matter! I’ll start with MeshCAM, first.

I just ordered the machine last week and with 30-day lead time it’ll be a while until I start making chips. Can’t freaking wait!!

@Moded1952, SolidWorks is yet to fail me… From the video tutorials I’ve reviewed it looks to be pretty crafty. Just need to get HSMXpress to work and, well, receive my CNC (it’s on backorder right now). Soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The great thing here is the default mode for Nomad use in MeshCAM is a completely automated calculation of this based on the material and tooling selected.

You should be able to use that as a starting point and then you can learn chiploads and look into spreadsheets and calculators. G-Wizard is mentioned favorably in:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/2015/how-to-buy-a-haas/

and see Bob Warfield’s guest blog posts:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/2016/feed-and-speeds-part-1/

and

https://carbide3d.com/blog/2016/feed-and-speeds-part-2/

1 Like

FWIW, though it might be great for larger machines, I haven’t had any luck with the calculators on the Nomad, at least milling metals. The machine has great difficulty performing anywhere near its rated specs, which seems to confuse the calculators.

I’ve heard of some people around the forums using HSMAdvisor though, maybe they have better luck than me.

1 Like

HSM Xpress is fantastic, and if you’ve got access to it HSMWorks is too… very pricey though.

I Prefer designing in SW, but I much prefer how Fusion360 toolpathing works, so adding those options to SW turns it into a solid option.

Do you have access to the SW CAM option? It was fairly new in 2018, I’d imagine a lot of work has gone into it since then

@stutaylo, from what a noob like me can tell, HSMXpress is more than sufficient for my needs.

I do have SW CAM and I’ll be playing with it AFTER I get comfortable with MeshCAM. SW CAM actually looks pretty serious, especially in SW 2021.

Look, I talk the talk… but I don’t even have a CNC… my Nomad is still on backorder. This conversation has both opened my eyes AND had given me many options for the future to come.

What’s funny is that in the last 2 weeks—since I’ve ordered the Nomad—all my SW designs seemed to have magically shifted from being easy to manually machine to requiring a CNC for precise control. I am so freaking excited to have one for myself!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@gregfridman yeah I think for the vast majority of jobs HSM Xpress is more than sufficient.There’s a lot of features there considering it’s free!

I originall bought my Shapeoko because I wanted to learn how to use Solidworks, watching videos and reading books wasn’t working for me.

Dassault did have a free ‘makers’ version of Solidworks in 2018, but it looks like it’s gone by the wayside. I can’t justify keeping the full price subscription going, so it’s 2018 for me!

You’re gonna have a ball with that Nomad!

@stutaylo, since I’m a legit company I pay full price… My SW license is … I can get a used HAAS with what I pay to them… Well, I have SW Flow Sim, too. In 3 words: it was expensive!!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s amazing to me the way that 3D modeling has become so easily accessible on such affordable equipment — I can remember reading about the specialized computers which were once required for 3D visualization and the incredible expense of them.

Still waiting to see what opensource program will next be as successful as Blender has been in becoming commercially acceptable to use.

There were some very promising statements made about FreeCAD recently, so will have to try it once again once I finish my current slate of projects.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.