Connecting chiller alarm output to HDM

Is there a recommended way to prevent the HDM spindle from running if the chiller isn’t running? The chiller has that alarm output on it just waiting to be used, and I’m sure at some point I’ll forget to flip the chiller switch on. A digital input on the VFD is one option but I’d prefer an approach that the Warthog is aware of, and Carbide Motion too. Wiring into a limit switch input?

I’d use feedhold if possible.

I don’t know how the HDM VFD and chiller are wired, but what I did on my non-HDM setup is plug both the chiller and the VFD in a single power socket. When I flick the switch the turn power on on that socket, both the VFD and chiller are activated (the chiller power button is permanently on the ON position), so I’m sure I never forget to turn on the chiller.

2 Likes

If you have the 1.5kw (110V) spindle, Julien’s solution will work. With the 2.2kw(220V) setup the entire control box is powered from the 220V circuit. I suppose a 110V plug could be wired from the 110V circuit in the box, and plugging the chiller in there. That may also void the warranty.

I look at the bubbles in the chiller lines just above the spindle, at the high point of the lines to remind me that the chiller is not on. :wink: And I also watch the bubbles when I turn it on to make sure it’s pumping freely.

Or install one of those spinny water flow indicators somewhere in the direct line of sight

4 Likes

A few additional comments/replies to the above:

• Yes it’s a 220V spindle, but regardless powering it off isn’t my ideal solution.
  • Flow indicator is nice to have, but is still visual and I’d prefer something automatic. The alarm output on the chiller triggers if flow is restricted so it would be great to tap into that.
  • Feed hold (and limit switches) are good workarounds but this prevents jogging as well. It would be nice to be able to leave the chiller off until needed.

Here’s what I’m going with to solve all of the above - VFD T1 relay in series with the alarm output of the chiller and the limit switch input. This will trigger the limit switch if the VFD is running and the chiller is in alarm state (either off or flow restricted).

I’m running a spindle I got from Amazon before C3D offered one. I have an output from the VFD switching an IOT power strip that runs the chiller. I wired this connection thru a selector switch to provide Auto, On, and Off options. In “auto” mode as long as the VFD has power the chiller is on. I also run panel lights with the OK and Fault outputs of the chiller. I would be concerned about shutting down the spindle based on the Chiller alarm state without first ensuring that the feedhold cycle had completed, motion stopped and bit clear of workpiece, and there is no easy way to do that. Shutting the spindle off in the workpiece would be asking for broken bits or worse. Given the thermal time constant of the motor and the light load they are typically experiencing it would be much safer to activate feedhold and have the machine sit waiting with no spindle load until you heard the alarm from the chiller or noticed a panel lamp.

1 Like

The feed hold approach takes care of this. It stops XY motion, raises Z a bit, stops the spindle, then continues to raise Z. So my chiller alarm now triggers a feed hold if the alarm occurs while the spindle is on.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.