Contour vs Pocket vs Drilling

Can you post the .c2d file?

It depends on where you had your Z zero set at, Top of stock or bottom of stock?

1 Like

That file is on another computer. I am certain that I did something wrong. Don’t know what. When it gets figured out, I shall alert the world.

1 Like

If you set the origin to the top of stock, and choose one of the peck options, a Drill toolpath should cut into the stock to the depth specified in a series of operations — always check the preview and turn the toolpath preview on/off when checking underneath for excess travel.

I am having a similar, if not same issue. I’m learning the process so I’m testing with MDF. I am simply trying to do a contour outline of a circle. Zero is set at lower left. Z zero is top of stock. Stock thickness is at .75. Depth of the actual cut is .20. It homes just fine, but when I start the run the router tries to plunge all the way through the material. Does anyone have any idea about what is happening?

i’m still relatively new but this community has been amazing helping me out with questions like this. list your exact steps (even with screengrabs) so we can all see exactly where the problem could be.
Start depth is zero?
are your units inches or MM?
it’s probably something simple, speaking from experience

Just doing a contour outline is tough, if you’re cutting a slot just as narrow as the endmill (drilling has similar challenges).

Best thing is to add geometry and cut as a pocket down to tab height or the penultimate pass.

Where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket

and/or

and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

Will, How are you adding tabs to the pocketing toolpath for a cut out?

You cut down to tab height using a pocket toolpath, then you use a contour toolpath for the contour cutout from the bottom of that pocket.

1 Like

Feature request: Tabs available for pocket toolpaths :smiley:

I’m back with the same issue. I am beginning to think it is a hardware issue. No matter what I try to cut using Contour or pocket, I am able to set Zero (using both top of stock and top of waste board) and the router goes to the zero point and instead of cutting it drills through the material into the waste board. Any ideas?

Hi Gary,
Can you submit an example Carbide Create file that you are using? If possible also include all the steps you perform when zeroing the machine. Here is a reply I gave a while ago for someone having issues. It discusses my workflow and what worked for me.

Please post a .c2d file, generated G-code, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing all tool changes and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine either here or to support@carbide3d.com

Polygon&Circle.c2d (14.7 KB)
Polygon&Circle.nc (16.6 KB)
Here are the files associated with my last attempt. I’m using 34" MDF for the test but changed the depth to half inch in an attempt to stop the bit from plunging through everything and never moving on the X or Y axis.

Hi @Tnbanjowood,

A few things to check:

• if you select “Zero Height: Top” in CC you must zero off the top of your stock.
  • if you select “Zero Height: Bottom” in CC you must zero off the top of your wasteboard. Make sure you don’t accidently set Top in CC and zero off the wasteboard or set Bottom in CC and zero off the top of the stock.
  • you should not modify the “stock thickness” in CC to compensate for a depth problem, this will throw off everything
  • you are using a large retract height of 3": can you double-check that upon the initial Z retract at the beginning of the job, the Z axis does not max out ? This would throw our the depth reference too. Unless you have a good reason to do so (tall clamps or something), 1" retract height is more than enough.

The nc file you set is fine (if you set zero off the top of the stock, in that example), it should work if your zeroing procedure is correct. Maybe elaborate on how exactly you set Z zero ?

3 Likes

As @Julien says your files look fine as long as you are setting your Z 0 off the top. I also agree that your retract height is a possible problem. It it is hitting the top limit of the Z axis when it retracts you are going to have issues with your Z being out of whack. I usually keep mine around 0.5 if I have work holding to clear and if I know there is none to worry about I drop it down to .1 inches for retract height.

1 Like

The suggested changes resolved my issues. Thanks so much. I have created multiple items without issue. One quick question. I have grabbed an image (jpg) with the new version of Carbide Create. It appears in my project, but does not allow for the creation of a toolpath to carve the image. Any suggestions?

Pixel images can be placed as a reference for redrawing:

or traced:

1 Like

A JPG file does not have any lines that Carbide Create know about. It is just a flat image so to speak. You want to import SVG, DXF or other C2D files to be able to make tool paths. If you cannot get a file in one of these formats then you can use the trace image feature.

Once you choose the image you can see the image tracing window. This will let you adjust the threshold , invert the image and a couple other settings. Adjust the threshold with the slider and then click trace image. Once you are happy with what it is tracing, you can click ok.

You can now see we have the Carbide 3D logo in the project.

Depending on the image this may or may not work well. Images like this with good definition between the areas work great. Others end up with lots of artifacts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.