Convert Acrylic Templates into SVG

Here is one of the traces I’m trying to convert

I’m posted the trace onto another reply in this post. Any help would be amazing!

Traced this using Freehand:

then simplified:

2 Likes

Hang on, accidentally hit a keyboard shortcut for posting.

Your pencil was outside the template, and inside the hole. Each black line is going to create 2 vectors when you trace it. So I think you want the inside vector on the outside edge, and the outside vector around the hole.
You could have done a bit better job tracing the template, and it would save you editing the image.
There are a couple of gaps, double lines, and spots where it looks like you pulled away from the template.
That being said, I would clean up the image a bit & fill the outside, and inside the hole. Then trace it in CC. You’ll need to scale it once it’s in CC, so you’ll want a few measurements/dimensions.

2 Likes

So how do I download freehand? It looks like it was bought out by Adobe and replaced with Adobe illustrator, which I do have access to

Switching to @Tod1d 's image, we just open it using Image Tracing:

Ok

which just needs a bit of cleanup:

Finishing that is left as an exercise for the reader.

I’d suggest putting it on a new layer, drawing in new geometry, and then using Trim Vectors and Node Editing to recreate the design.

2 Glass Bottle Holder_v7.c2d (60 KB)

If you have Adobe Illustrator and are willing to use it, use the trace feature in that.

I was just using Freehand as an example of a program which had a centerline option, which is what a single line wants, though as @Tod1d noted, you could arguably trace both edges, then delete the side which is farther from what is wanted.

Inkscape has a centerline option.
wine_thing_trace
I used it here with a few minutes to clean up the extra junk.
Depending on the design, it might be better to just recreate them from scratch.

1 Like

A friend of mine said the same thing about re-creating them. I’m new to all of this so I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

Are you familiar with any CAD or vector programs?

See:

and esp.:

If you get stuck, post the file and describe your difficulty and we will walk through it w/ you.

What is it? Is there anything about it that has to be accurate? Other than symmetry for aesthetics.
I might consider just redesigning it as well. Aside from the academic adventure, it might just be quicker & cleaner. Are there any specific dimensions? Or just an overall dimension?

1 Like

I know of Fusion 360, have played inside of it briefly

It just that I’ve spent money on all these acrylic templates and was hoping to be able to “easily” bring them into the software so it didn’t feel like a waste of money

Unfortunately, the “quality triangle” comes into play:

3 Likes

wine1

In case of 3rd wheel…

6 Likes

That’s where I was going. If it has to be ‘good’ (higher tolerance / accurate), Go with Neil’s method, either in Fusion or CC, and it will likely end up being better than your plastic template.
If it only has to be ‘fast’ (Not too accurate, but easy), go with Will’s method, and just trace & scale it.

I still have no idea what the part is??? So no context to derive Fast, Cheap or Good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I guessed it was a wine glass holder that hangs on a wine bottle, hence my “third wheel” comment. i could be way off though.

For what it’s worth, I still find it faster for certain things to make a template and do the rest the non-cnc way. I get to use my CNC to make good templates though.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.