Copy tool settings from GWizard to Meshcam on PC

Hello, I replied to the message down below about GWizard integration with Meshcam not working on a Mac, but maybe my reply is being skipped over since my issue is actually on a PC. Basic issue is I create a tool in GWizard, then use the button in GWizard to export that tool to Meshcam. In Meshcam I get no button to paste my tool data. I can paste the data into a text document, so I know it’s being copied to my clipboard, but Meshcam doesn’t register for some reason. This is on a three day old PC running Windows 10 with fresh install of GWizard and fresh install of Meshcam 6 and 7 beta. Sorry to double post this, but if someone on a PC has found a solution I don’t want to get overlooked on a Mac thread.

Thanks,

Dan

Maybe I’m the only one with this issue?

Have also found a bug in V6 “show full program zero” does nothing, with my eyes, with glasses, on a 24" display the current way it shows is nearly impossible to see. This setting works in the V7 beta, but I’m not wanting to use it because it has semi frequent crashes and don’t quite trust it.

It seems that the latest V6 has irritating bugs and the V7 beta is definitely still a beta. Kinda feeling as though I’ve wasted money on software that “mostly” works, but has enough irritating bugs that I find myself looking for a better CAM solution, albeit a few dollars poorer in the process. Does anyone know if there’s going to be a final V6 that captures some of these issues, or is V7 Beta closing in on being a fully released piece of software?

Sorry for the rant, just venting.

Thanks,

Dan

@DanoInTx, Full Program Zero has been broken for a while ( http://grzforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15469&p=24398 ) but if you read my reply in that thread, it could be worse… I think that Rob has had other priorities (i.e. claims on his finite available time) since Carbide3D took off …

I don’t use GWizard so I can’t address that one, sorry.

Randy

Thanks for the reply Randy,

It’s partly my own fault, I was checking a few different pieces of software out at the same time, doing the trials, etc., and I guess I just missed these issues. They obviously don’t make the software impossible to use as plenty of people are using it, but I really wish I had done more research as this project appears to be somewhat abandoned at the moment. Hopefully that will change and I can quit my whining, haha!

Anyone else have the copy tools from GWizard issue?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,
To be clear, are you wanting to auto fill the 11 Tool feature values in MeshCAM from G wizard?

Yes, exactly what I’m trying to do, as is described here: http://www.grzsoftware.com/blog/releases/g-wizard-integration/
It could be that I am not pressing the right buttons, or that I am not holding my tongue just right, or my ball cap is too tight, but I’ve messed with this a bunch and think it’s a great feature if it works, sadly I have not been successful:(

Thanks,

Dan

1 Like

@DanoInTx, that blog post is 5 years old. The post says

In the Edit Tool dialog in MeshCAM you will see a new “Paste” button if the clipboard contains data that is in the correct format.

(emphasis mine)

So if the paste button is not appearing, there might have been a change in either MeshCAM or GWizard that broke the functionality since then.

Randy

That’s a good point, I honestly didn’t see the date of that blog post. I just last night installed the latest GWizard and the buttons are definitely still there, and if I hit the copy button it definitely copies tool data to my clipboard as I can paste it as text into a text file. As for the format being correct I have no clue since I don’t know what format is readable by Meshcam, but what I paste into a text file is mostly human readable. Regardless of the age of the blog post though, unless I’m missing something I don’t see a post with that functionality removed, and GWizard still has it albeit perhaps the format is wrong.

When I went shopping for a CNC router I looked at a bunch. I also budgeted welll over the machine cost for additional items like cutters, dust extraction, a dedicated PC to run everything, purpose built workbench and also software. Everything has come together really nice, I really like my XXL, I’m impressed with just about everything, the whole setup is really impressive (and I see huge industrial CNC machines all the time as part of my day job). I however really dislike buying stuff twice because what I decided on doesn’t do what I planned to use it for. Many times I do that to myself and I’ll suck that up as a lesson learned. When deciding on software I really liked the idea of buying from the guys that make my machine. While I’m mostly happy with my whole purchase in general the software bugs really get under my skin. I also did software development several years ago, so I understand that it’s the nature of the beast, but from my reading it “appears” as though this piece of software is caught somewhere between a buggy V6 and a still very beta V7. There in lies my frustration, I feel there should be a solid close out release for V6. I’ll probably find work arounds or start shopping for new software, and buy twice.

Sorry for the rant once again and I appreciate the replies so far, I’ve felt in limbo for the last few days and this is great support!!!

Dan

@ApolloCrowe : Do you know if this was ever implemented, maybe in a previous version of Meshcam? As Randy stated the blog post I was refering to http://www.grzsoftware.com/blog/releases/g-wizard-integration/2 is quite old (I didn’t realize at the time of reading or purchasing), so maybe this was implemented, then removed for some reason?

Thanks,

Dan

@DanoInTx

Your correct, the integration from Gwizard to MeshCAM does not work currently.
Although at one point it did- on the list.

[quote=“ApolloCrowe, post:10, topic:3290”]…it did- on the list.
[/quote]

Hey Apollo,

On the list, does that mean it’s on the list to be re-implemented? Or does it mean it once worked per the blog, but never worked irl? Sorry, some parts of language are lost via internet, I’m just making sure I understand correctly. Silly new fangled internet😉

Thanks,

Dan

Hey Apollo,

Can we get this prioritized correctly and set to a release? I reported this nearly two years ago in this thread and it’s been frustrating as a user of both Meshcam and Gwizard to always have to copy and paste the individual values for all the feeds and speeds.

Thanks
Michael