Crashed! File Exists but also Doesn't!

Hello!
I just spent an hour working in Carbide Create, saving frequently, when all of a sudden it crashed/closed. I thought “thank goodness I was saving, at least I won’t have to redraw the whole thing.”
Well, I went to reopen Carbide Create and "open recent’ and I click on the file I was working on but all that comes up is a blank grid workspace as if I’m starting a new project!
I tried quitting and reopening, and I also tried opening the file by dragging it onto the Carbide Create app icon but still nothing.
In my folder, there is also a “-journal” file. Is that anything helpful?

So can I somehow recover my project or is it lost and I have to start all over? If it matters/helps, I’m using CC version 756 on a Macbook pro. Thanks!

-seth

Also, what’s weird is that if I double-click my file in finder, it opens it (just a blank project) and shows that it’s CC 648. What the heck haha!

-seth

How a file is identified in an OS is not determined by its content, but its file extension and any associated metadata.

Ideally one would incrementally save each version using a different file name so that the corruption of one version will not affect previous versions.

If you are using a cloud storage system it might be that you could restore a previous version.

See if a *.c2d-journal file exists in the same directory as your source/work file.

If so…
-exit out of CC,
-delete the *.c3d-journal file,
-restart CC,
-reopen (“double click” on the file, “open recent”, or “file open”)

Lastly, take a look at the following community entry for more details on what may be the same symptom you’re experiencing.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I ended up doing it from scratch but will keep George’s notes handy in case I ever run into this again!

-seth

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.