Cut through on thicker materials with smaller end mill

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a method to cut out thicker material but still maintain detailed angles in the cut?

For instance, lets say I want to cut out a multi-point star on material that is 1.75" thick. To get the level of detail in all angles of the points, I can use a 1/8" end mill. However, I have yet to see a 1/8" end mill that can clear that thickness of wood without burring the router into the work piece.

Is my lack of knowledge trying to achieve something that just shouldn’t be done on a CNC? Or, is there a way you can accomplish this that I just have not seen/learned how to do yet?

Thanks all!

Bob

With that thickness of wood I doubt you would find a .125 bit long enough to accomplish that cut.

You said “cut out”, Could you use a .250 to accomplish the cut out? I would do a pocket .275 to prevent the drag on the bit. Clean up the angles with a chisel or saw. Sure you can find a long reach .250.

1 Like

What does your part geometry look like?

Is a V endmill an option?

The usual tool choice for this sort of file is a tapered ball-nose tool — they cannot be entered into Carbide Create as such, but will work if entered as a ball-nose and only used on parts which do not have features more vertical than the taper.

1 Like

What will these 1.75" thick stars be used for? Is it critical that they are a single solid piece? Could you make them in multiple pieces & stack them?
Does the 1/8" detail need to go the full thickness? Can you start with a larger cutter, then clean up the detail just near the top/visible portion of the part?
Could you make them out of 5 pieces with no concave corners & assemble them into a star?

2 Likes

Further, for a bit on the geometry of stars and cutting out the most detailed version see:

Thank you all very much. These are fantastic suggestions. And I will look into either cutting thinner versions. And stacking them or possibly using the tapered ball. And mill since the sides do not need to be absolutely vertical.

I did find a tool from Amana that has a one and a 1/2 inch cutting area and a 3 inch. Overall length, that is 1/8 at the cutting point and 1/8 shaft. So possibly this will work? The description says it has a tapered end, which I’m not exactly sure what that means. To be honest related to the cut it will make.

You may also want to check this one out:

It is 1.5 flutes and 3 OAL, but it has a relieved shank so they say it provides a 2” cutting depth. I have used it at close to 1.75.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.