Cutter stopped responding Carbide Motion 635

Has anyone else been having disconnect issues since updating to Carbide Motion 635? Has anyone found a work around or figure out why it’s happening?

Also I had to disconnect bluetooth be able to set up my machine ( BT still off ). Love all the work flow changes so far but running into disconnects on nearly every run.

My Machine:
Shapeoko 3 xl
Bitrunner & bitsetter
Grounded spindle mount

What’s the exact message you’re getting?

Pop up said cutter stopped responding.

Machine is always left in its last know state with router still running.

So far so good on this attempt.

Tried using a different usb port for this attempt as for what I’ve read from other posts/comments this seems to be a usb/driver issue on slightly older computers?

While cutting my acrylic projects, I started getting lost communication to the cutter. Two days ago, I turned of all other apps, including CCPro and the error continued another couple of times.

Yesterday, I additionally turned off the Norton 360 AND disconnected from the internet totally. The machine ran ok, all day today, UNTIL I quick and stopped the machine.

I reinitalized it and left for about 30 mins. Came back and the screen message said communication lost with cutter. or some such verbage.

I had not received these messages before Monday this week, which, BTW, I received a Windows update/load. Maybe conwinsidence, but ???

No idea what’s going on.

What static mitigation have you done. Acrylic makes static and static causes disconnects.

1 Like

I’m not to sure static is causing this round of disconnects. Seems like CM 636 and the computer OS fight each other. Jobs start fine but the closer I get to 1 hour of machine the problem seems to build. Slow step updates to the machine that eventually turn into a disconnection. Feels More like its timing out.

When I upgraded and got bit runner and bit setter I ran the included grounding cable all the way to the router mount. Since I did that I haven’t had a static disconnect since.

Back up to the last CM that worked. It could be coincidental that your stops started with the new version. The temperatures are warming up and a spinning bit, dust collection (moving air) and humidity are increasing but you can still get static.

2 Likes

Hmmm. I was using a laptop (gaming/screaming fast) when i first got my machine. 635 didn’t run well on it. I used 622, but it always felt laggy. But it worked.

Went to Walmart and bought their $500 special, an Acer barely more than a chromebook… barely :slight_smile:

That became my machine laptop. Installed 635 on it. No other programs or constant inet connection. I dont run antivirus or anything else on it. Well 635 is smoking fast on it. Machine responses are almost instant. Night and day difference.

Havent taken the time to find out why. But we’re in the middle of new production tests. And its really performing well.

Yeah I’m afraid that’s going to be my next step, it’s a shame because I really enjoy the newest update.

1 Like

Sounds like you found a good solution. Some people have reported issues with blue tooth on certain machines and if they turned blue tooth off their laptops worked well. I think C3D is trying to figure out what is going on. They say blue tooth is not used in their code but certain machines seem to have issues with blue tooth turned on interfering with their usb connections.

There are thousands and thousands of hardware and software combinations in use. There is no one size fits all because of the variations in system boards, drivers, OS, OS updates etc.

Actual verbiage: “Cutter not responding”
I re-initialized my 3XXL last night after the cutter not responding and this morning, the message is back on my machine before I even touch it.
No apparent apps running; no internet connection to the computer.

ALL my power is very well grounded as every ckt associated with the router, the computer, the 3XXL control board are ALL on separate circuits, each and grounds run independly back to main ground in the shop panel.

No clue why, but either MS Windows ver 11/

Ensured that all communicaations, except my BT mouse diconnected. 1 1/2 hours into cut and “cutter not responding”. Machine stopped. Ugh

If that material is plastic, I would think you are running into static. Below is how I fixed mine.

Same issue here, I don’t know if my laptop fell asleep so I went into settings and changed all to never. So far the issue hasn’t repeated.

2 Likes

I have my laptop set to never sleep or the screen to blank. Even closing my screen just turns display off but laptop does not go to sleep.

All good suggestions.
I have been cutting with this machine for 3+ years now without seeing this issue. Granted, have not cut that much acrylic, but the issues did occur when I was cutting my 150+ advent wreaths out of black walnut, so not sure static, but maybe???

I set my computer to never sleep, some two years ago and so I know that is not causing the problem

Like others,I have discontinued my BT connections (only one was to my mouse) along with everything else in the way of apps AND no internet connection.

Tomorrow morning will tell if it does the same as it did this morning when over night (not running so no static), it lost connection.

The saga continues.

I will definitely try this before reverting