Cutting 1/8" aluminum

I have a few simple rectangles I need to cut out of an 1/8" thick sheet of aluminum, rather than cutting with my jigsaw I figured this might be a great job for the shapeoko.

Looking into some of the threads here I am a little unsure as to how it’s going to go when I pull the trigger… This thread shows there’s somewhat of a glitch in the software when it comes to feeds and speeds. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Here is the thread: Cutting Aluminum - #2 by Julien

It also shows the rectangle which is roughly 15 x 9" will take 75 mins to cut…

Here are the specs it is showing me:

those F&S look … not right.

In the “Select Tool” button, did you pick from the Aluminum set ?

I get a depth per pass of 0.015" and a 48 IPM feedrate…

3 Likes

Yes he did, but from the Nomad category:

for a Shapeoko that would indeed rather be:

EDIT: also, when in doubt, check the MaterialMonday videos from @wmoy:

There are recommended settings for both the Shapeoko and Nomad, in aluminium (and much more)

2 Likes

If that aluminum isn’t 6061 sheet then consider lowering the doc to 0.010ish and be prepared to used a wd40 or airblast.

3 Likes

I didn’t even realize I have been selecting from the Nomad category the entire time I’ve been using the shapeoko :astonished:

Is this the annoyance you were referring to in the previous thread?

thanks to everyone who responded

I had to go back and check what I was annoyed by :slight_smile:
It was the fact that at the time, CC had no adequate Shapeoko-compatible recommended feeds and speeds in its library. This was fixed long ago, so it’s all good now.

1 Like

Great! thanks

Seems like I should be ok with the carbide tip bits I already have and keep the surface lubricated?

Should I be tensioning my belts more than what they already are? I already went through the trouble of tensioning them just right with the app that measures the audible noise of the belt when I flick them…

If you’ve already tensioned them up to a ‘normal’ tension then no, adding more tension won’t make anything better and does have downsides.

Just enough is just right for belt tension.

4 Likes

I use Estlcam to generate all of my 2D or 2.5D work.

75mins seems long to me - so I drew up a 230mm X 380mm rectangle, put it in Estlcam to generate my gcode with my typical settings (used a 4mm end mill in this case), and I could do that in under 13 mins, with trochoidal roughing pass and then a finishing pass - both full depth.

Here is a screen shot of the tool paths and timing:

I highly recommend Estlcam if you don’t know of it. Reasonably priced, and there is a Shapeoko post processor built in, very easy to get it going. I have no affiliation - just a big fan.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.