Cutting pine. S&F?

Hey everyone. So plan to cut some pine boards for some boxes. 1/4” bit that came with the machine and the VFD and spindle.

Suggestions on Speeds and Feeds for a profile cut out?

Start with the feeds and speeds for soft woods in Carbide Create:

for more on this see:

Note when cutting contours — where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket

and/or

and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

Thanks. I did a simple heart shape bowl the other day. Was 1” pine. Took to me what I thought was too long. I should be able to cut .100 depth of cut but didn’t know how fast and RPM to go.

1 Like

There are no short cuts in CNC if you want good results. Pine is a good wood for practice but the grain is soft and tends to tear out a lot. Just dont get tunnel vision. We have folks here on the forum that only have a CNC and try to do everything on the CNC. It is possible to do almost everything on a CNC but the trade off is the time to program it and then execute. Making a bowl is better done with a router and template or better yet a wood lathe. To each their own but when a carpenter only had a hammer everything looks like a nail. It is much cheaper to experiment with softwood like pine but eventually you will figure out you are wasting your time with pine and move on to better material. That is not to say that a utilitarian item cannot be made from pine but it is poor choice to use for anything serious.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.