Design into 3D: Boxes: Coopered boxes

We need a couple of variables:

(hopefully those notes will be sufficient to let me pick up where I left off)

1 Like

Next step is making a board with the correct (and rather slight) angles:

To fill out the lid we need to ensure that the number of segments will be odd, and then rotate them into place.

1 Like

Rather than try to calculate everything about the lid we change to having multiple variables:

which are still parametric, adjusting in terms of a percentage of the box bottom height minus one:

We will iterate on numbers until we reach the point at which it can become a loop.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Yeah, one has to model the parts in design orientation, then rotate them into place:

1 Like

A further consideration, for maximum interior volume we want the board edges to meet at the internal edges, which makes the boards which meet the lid skirt want a two-sided operation:

1 Like

And it’s a house:

Next up filling in the ends: #done

then we do a 3 sided top.

1 Like

Okay, the 2 sided top is pretty much just a placeholder. For the 3 faceted top, we actually want good engineering and connections, so we need to angle the parts thus:

Next up is modifying the lid skirt to have that bevel along the top edge, then fitting in the other parts.

1 Like

Two choices here, we could reduce the board width of the ends, or, it’s better aesthetically and in terms of material usage to just notch them:

Next we have to add the 45 degree boards for the two side facets.

1 Like

A useful technique — hide the lower portion of the project and use that area for developing the part geometry:

Then, once the geometry is worked up you can shift it into place.

1 Like

Finally we have the 3rd option done:

The balance should be achievable with a loop.

1 Like

As is often the case, the first thing we figure out is that we need to revise what the variables are called, and make modules more general:

• lidfacets — this should be minlidfacets
  • the lid skirt side pieces need to have input parameters:
    • length
    • width
    • thickness (as expected)
    • angle of side/notching

We’ll start with a semi-circle (lidarcproportion == 100) and work from there.

1 Like

And we have it working from:

33:

through 100:

in terms of the placement and modeling of the ideal arc — next up is segmenting that (after we fix the skirt to use an angle parameter).

2 Likes

Actually, the skirt is going to get a flat treatment — it’ll look nicer thus, and having it symmetrical will enable a nifty option (I will go back and change the 3 facet design to adjust for height though).

First consideration is get the circumference, which is simply:

\pi r^2

(yeah, definitely going to have to use a .dtx and literate programming for the final version of all this)

then based on the chord length of the box as a whole (this is boxdepth) we calculate that angle using the Pythagorean theorem and then we can get the length of the segment arc by calculating the ratio of that angle to 360 times the circumference.

1 Like

Weird doubling/halving errors — not sure if I’ve got things correct, but this ought to be the part needed for the lid:

Next is placing it at the top of the lid and rotating multiples through the arc of the lid — arguably it should always be odd — will have to add logic for that.

1 Like

Unfortunately, BlockSCAD/OpenSCAD makes doing contextual changes of variables (which aren’t really variables for some architectural reason) difficult, so we won’t be able to force things to odd at this juncture (so that there’s always a keystone — might add a parameter for that).

We do however have a coopered lid (finally):

1 Like

and the lidarcproportion parameter works:

(currently subtracting 1 from that — will hopefully revisit that)

Next up is ends and fixing the lid skirt.

1 Like

Except that I can’t get the logic for the in-between dimensions to work — if I adjust for one in-between dimension, it works for that specific on, but breaks for others. The general solution works for the flattest option:

and the fully round one:

so I guess I’m going to just run with those two specific options. Not sure that designs such as:

make any sense.

2 Likes