Determine Depth of Cut

I want to surface a piece of wood that is all out of kilter. The Z points at the four corners are 6.125, 8.125, 4.55, and 7.125

Can anyone tell me, in Carbide Create, when I select my tool, what should my max. dept of cut be (My router is set in inches)?

Thanks

Make pencil marks all across the surface

Secure the wood as stably as is possible

Start at the highest point and do a pocket toolpath larger than the stock, but which avoids any clamps

Run that until you’ve cleared at least half the surface

Flip the stock over, and again, secure as flat and as stably as possible, w/ an eye towards presenting as flat a surface as is possible

Repeat, flipping whenever a substantial amount of material has been removed, to repeat again.

2 Likes

Will: Thanks so much.

Will:

I posted this on another forum a few moments ago:

Today when I went to use my machine it began the Bit Zero process, moved above the silver touch button on Bit Zero and then failed, in fact it failed twice. I checked to see that a red light was on, and in fact it was. I also noticed that the silver button looked a little unusual and upon closer inspection I found it very loose. In fact I can lift it out of the socket and in doing so noticed that the end has threads on it. I attempted to push it back into the socket and turn it, both directions, hoping that it would screw into whatever it should be screwed into. No luck. I suspect that this is the problem and am wondering what the solution might be.

I called the help line, but got no answer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Answered in the other thread — write in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get this sorted out.

Will: I have another question. I just installed the latest version of Carbide motion which is a little different from the old version. I’d like to ask about the process of using bit zero and bit setter.

Bet zero came with with steel rods; 1/4 and 1/8 inch, which I was accustomed to using.

After Bit Setter does its job, I go to bit zero. There are three options and I’ve watched a YouTube video. The person used the first option to determind X and Y and then ran the second option to determine Z. Using the first option does probe X and Y, but them it comes up and probes Z. Is it necessary to use the second option? After the probes are made is there a need to use the set zero or are things ready to run at that point? In the past if I then went to run a program it would tell me that a new tool needed to be put in the machine and pause. After putting the tool in the machine it would router would then move over bit setter and then prompt you to turn the router on and then the program ran.

I’m a little confused. Can you help me. Sorry to pester you. Thanks for your expertise.

Please see:

One can probe multiple times if desired — I often do this:

• if probing at a corner other than lower left one has to do each axis individually
  • if probing lower left corner, but wanting the origin to be at or relative to the wasteboard, one needs to probe at least twice (e.g., corner for XYZ, then reposition unit and probe for Z on the wasteboard surface)
  • to get a perfect centered origin, probe lower left corner and note the machine coordinates, then probe the opposite corner to get the machine coordinates of that corner, then do the math to get the center of the stock in-between the two corners

The BitSetter will reprobe as needed, and if one uses the probing pins (steel rods), then you’ll need to do a tool change after to the correct tool.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.