Dewalt DWP611 Reversible Hack? Counter Clockwise Spindle Rotation?

Wondering if anyone knows how to hack the Dewalt DWP611 to make it rotate counter clockwise rather than clockwise.

Why? I’m working with hardwoods and I need to carving such that I’m compressing the grain when climbing. There’s plenty of toolpaths in my work where clockwise works fine, but just as many others that need counter clockwise and a left hand spiral bit.

I am doing some cuts with 3/16" spiral bit (assuming low enough torque that it wouldn’t unchuck itself).

Why not use a down-cut spiral endmill with CW rotation instead of an upcut with CW rotation?

2 Likes

The clockwise rotation also helps to keep the collet nut seated. Reversing the rotation would work against that and you increase the possibility of the collet nut loosening during the cut. Second @gmack on the downcut bit.

I do use a down cut spiral, which address Z axis compression and keeps edges clean. However, I still need the CCW rotation to address how the bit bites at the grain with my stock orientation.

I’m also looking for alternative spindle suggestions (as I am a newbie to cnc).

@VikingVoyager
Some info on spindle/router options here. and here. HF Spindles like OP’s can run in either direction, but as @a.f.waltz pointed out, doing so is a really bad idea.

So then it has me asking, are the spindles designed to run in either direction? Or is it just that the VFD has the ability to control a motor’s rotational direction which doesn’t mean you should run a spindle CCW?

Are there special collets that can be used for CCW? I know I’m not the only person needing this capability but I have not found much information on it.

HF spindles are 3 phase ac induction motors. Switching 2 of the phases reverses the rotation direction of the spindle. Most/all of the variable frequency drives (VFDs) used to drive those spindles can do this electronically.

You’d need cutters that don’t have cylindrical shafts and spindles designed for them. AFAIK, they’re only used on really high power machines.

Consider using a light finishing pass instead?

I’ve been using light passes (0.2mm stepover) but will have to try even smaller stepover.

I just spoke with a tech guy at mscdirect (the website your link points to) who has 16 years experience running cnc’s, and he said as long as I’ve tightened the collet properly, I shouldn’t have any issues. (There are torque specs for collets.)

You’ll also be running the cooling fan backwards, so instead of sucking clean(ish) air from the top of the router and pushing it out the bottom, you’ll be sucking the chips and cutting dust up from the bottom and into your router.

Dan

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out Dan…I had overlooked that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.