Different Software on the Shapeoko 3

Dear members of the Carbide 3D community,

Good Morning. I was wondering if I could use the Easel software on my Shapeoko 3? If so how do I make the change? Have a great rest of your day.

Sincerely, Russell Francis

Yes, you can use Easel (or pretty much any CAD/CAM software) — just write out G-Code, and use CM to send it.

It used to be that you could use Easel for Communication/Control — if that’s still an option, don’t overwrite the Grbl configuration — if that should happen, resend per:

Thank you for the information. I don’t know how to do that but I think I will stick with Carbide Create for now. I am relatively new to the CAD and CAM part of CNC. Is there a way I could learn all these techniques online?

I’m afraid I was never successful with Easel, even though I had an early prelaunch invite.

We have documentation for our software at:

Easel is definitely a difficult software. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely, Russell Francis

Carbide create video series breakdown:

1 Like

I think this is really a preference. I do all my 2d design in either autocad or easel. I couldn’t get the hang of carbide create.

I find easel significantly easier for quick jobs. The only thing I wish it had was support for more than (2) tools.

For me, I use what comes with the CNC! I’ve got a Shapeoko, so it’s CC and CM - and I’ll learn as much as I can using it!

Either not doing what I want or need more complexity (not happening just yet! :slight_smile: )? I’ll move on to something else!

As my skills evolve - and it’s not a quick process! - so will my ambitions!

2 Likes

@RussellF Easel is about as simple as it gets when it comes to generating basic toolpaths. Do NOT use Easel to control your machine as you may overwrite settings. There’s nothing wrong with generating gcode in Easel, exporting, and running with Motion (or something else). You don’t have much control over toolpaths, but if you’re starting from scratch, it’s a great, simple tool.
I would not recommend it for design, but you can import svg or dxf.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.