Does anyone order their wood?

Around here there are no convenient lumber sources. We have the Big Box Hardware stores, but if you want something other than a few select hardwoods you are out of luck.
Example: went to Lowes and they had Poplar and Maple, that was it.

The point of this post is, I keep getting emails, (I did subscribe willingly) from the following… The Woodworkers Source Has anyone used them? Are there any others you know of or have used?

These guys seem reputable, and they send videos explaining different wood and their characteristics.

Me, being a bit of a skinflint, am always looking to save a buck. Maybe there is a source I am unaware of closer to Indiana rather than Arizona.

Two resources I know of are:

https://www.urbanlumberfinder.com/

https://woodfinder.com/

I purchased from D&D Hardwood/Plywood back when they were trying out internet sales w/ good success, and Hearne’s Hardwoods (which is local to me) sells online:

Ideally you’d find a local lumberyard — they tend to be friendly places and some places will have a box full of shorts/scraps which they’ll be glad of you searching through.

I buy from Woodcraft occasionally (when stuff is on sale), but haven’t used their 'net sales — is there a franchise local to you?

Hi Eric

I did a quick search for (HARDWOOD SUPPLIER IN Fort Wayne In.) and found several places.

I bet you could find one close to you.

Hope this helps

Anthony

I usually don’t order hardwood on line I would rather select what I want.

1 Like

Woodcraft, in their infinite wisdom, had decided to close the local store here.
In fact, I am wearing my Woodcraft apron as I type. I miss that store.

Thank you for the links. I appreciate it very much.

Haven’t had a need for other woods other than what has been available locally at the big box stores but have been thinking about trying other species lately.

The local suppliers are either Big Box, Flooring or construction lumber facilities. Your post did make me look again and I did find a site in Illinois that looks promising.

Thanks for the replies! When I get around to ordering I’ll post again.

There used to be a big sawmill over in Logansport but i am not sure if it is still up and going. I knew a few people that would go over there and buy wood.

1 Like

Take a look at craigslist. Around here there are several sawmills that advertise and you find their posts no matter what you are looking for.

Note: If you sell on craigslist at the bottom of your post you can put the key words about your product and during searches you can get found. Unfortunately every used car lot and every rip off artist has figured this out and has hundreds of key words so every search you make finds them.

On craigslist you never know what you will find. I bought two pickup loads of oak and mahagoney a couple of years ago. I keep my eye on craigslist for estate sales and people selling off woodworking tools and lumber. As mentioned above saw mills advertise on craigslist and you can get green or kiln dried wood from t hem.

1 Like

I don’t know about in the States but over here e-bay is a great source for hardwood. There are LOADS of people wanting to get shot of old tables etc. I just search for “Antique mahogany/oak” table, I narrow the search down to within 25 miles of my house and max £20. I recently picked up a 3/4" thick oak table for £1, lovely wood. I must have bought at least 10 different ones by now, oak, mahogany, mango etc.

This is the one bought this month for £1. Seasoned, flat wood, just a few screw holes in the back.

3 Likes

Yeah, the disassembling furniture route is one to consider — I try to get pieces which are being discarded by the side of the road, as opposed to purchasing things from thrift shops.

If you live anywhere close to a well populated area, there’s almost certainly a source somewhere simply because tradesfolk like cabinet makers and trim carpenters have to get their material somewhere. Even if an outlet primarily deals with commercial customers, there’s a good chance they will also sell to the public. My local plywood outlet primarily deals with dimensional products, but they also sell select hardwoods. So check with anyone you can find locally who sells wood products and see if they have or can get other wood products. Most big box stores will also deal in hardwoods on a special order basis, albeit typically S4S products that are more expensive.

1 Like

I’m letting out a secret that I’ve kept (until now!)

I buy milled lumber from https://woodchuckswood.com/ (they also have a store on Amazon.) I believe they are in Wisconsin, but they don’t want anyone to know. :smiley: I believe they work with Amish wood choppers for their supplies. The wood I’ve gotten has been around 6 - 7% dry.

Now, shhhhhh! Don’t let it go any further than here!

PS. Don’t get in a hurry, and they don’t like to work on price with bulk purchases. That makes them grumpy! :smiley:

3 Likes

Eric,
I am going to suggest asking on sawmillcreek.org which is a good woodworking forum. There is likely someone there who know your area and the good sources. (heck, you live a lot closer to real trees than I do in San Antonio :slight_smile: ).
Some of the mail order places that I have seen talked about are Wall Lumber 15 Bd. Ft. Bundles – Steve Wall Lumber Co. They do 15 bd ft bundles that will ship UPS
There is Buy Hardwood Lumber Boards and Kits Online at 10% Off Forest2Home which I think also ships hardwood.
Rockler also will do wood mail order. (I think they will show the individual boards on their website).

I haven’t online ordered any wood personally, but have bought from the hardwood suppliers that supply the local cabinet shops. There should be several in your area.

One thing to check is for a woodworking club in your area. They should be able to hook you up with good wood sources.

John

3 Likes

Ocooch has been pretty reliable for me when I want to order something online. https://ocoochhardwoods.com/
I’m also not too far from exotic wood in Annapolis. I know they list stuff online, but I haven’t really looked since I’m usually out that way once every few months.

4 Likes

Eric, I forgot to answer one of your questions: The Woodworkers Source.

I’ve used them for some exotic “samples”, but their shipping was more than others. In past comparisons, their prices were higher than Woodchucks Wood or Ocooch Hardwoods. I usually buy 3/4" exact dimension lumber that is almost finished sanded.

1 Like

With all your suggestions and choices, I believe I am set when I am ready to pull the trigger.

This community is a goldmine!

Thanks to all!

I have ordered through Home Depot , it was a pleasant surprise, well packaged S4S. Made a beautiful Cutting board with little waste, price is comparable to Rockler’s premium cost. They carry many species.
Swaner Hardwood is headquartered in Burbank, CA
Swaner Hardwood](https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Composites-Boards-Planks-Panels-Appearance-Boards-Hardwood-Boards/Swaner-Hardwood/N-5yc1vZ1z18gp4Zots)

1 in. x 6 in. x 2 ft. Walnut S4S Board (5-Pack)

2 Likes

Not sure if you’re referring to Owl Hardwoods but they have a great selection and are very reasonably priced.

1 Like

I use https://ocoochhardwoods.com/ also. Good service.

1 Like

I am down in VA and have been using a sawmill in MD. I had not heard of exotic wood in Annapolis, Thanks I will have to check them out.

This place does mail order and is incredible. I have a dozen blocks of strange wood from them I’m saving for the right project.