Double sided machining 3XXL

@Ensalaco what program do you use? If you use aspire on double sided do you use the option to cut past i.e. overlap any?

I use Fusion 360. Itā€™s a tough learning curve and I am sure is way too advanced for what I do (guitars). In that program you have to build out a complete 3D model, the define the stock and finally the tool paths.

Another note that i wanted to say is this is all on a stock 3xxl with the belt driven z axis and a makita router. I say that because i have read some negative comments and ppl having issues with their machines. In my own experience work with the makers here and the support team once you learn your machine they are amazing. Now do I want the 5pro 4x4 absolutely linear rails no more belts sign me up. But I have had this machine for going on 4 years and still havent maxed out its capabilities mostly because my imagination is still growing! @Carbide @WillAdams @robgrz @KevBarn14 @wmoy and the entire team thank you for a great machine. Also please keep supporting the 3 lol!

7 Likes

Okay thank you for the insight i have read a lot on fusion 360 just dont have the need to design like that. For me it is easier to buy designs vice put the time in to make them.

Did you use Carbide Create Pro to carve this or some other software? I have bought the files from Etsy and want to make sure CC Pro will do it ok.

I used aspire however CC pro should work. As long as you can import STL files which pro does I believe, (I only used the free trial so dont quote me) I am going solely off what i have read about pro. With those files it is 2 bits and the key is the reference holes. Just ensure the setup is accurate i.e. half and half.

1 Like

Correct, Carbide Create Pro will import STLs:

3 Likes

Wow. Excellent! This gives me and my XL something to shoot for.

1 Like

UPDATE: Light colored pieces completed out of Sycamore!

12 Likes

Terrific work Tony. Two sided machining can sound intimidating. Lots of people make it sound incredibly difficult. In fact, itā€™s all about knowing the dimension of your flip and the location of that stock for the second op.
Again, great work!

1 Like

Thank you @KevBarn14, I just enjoy trying new things! Well new to me at least. Trying to improve my skills for when yall bring back the community challenges!!! Speaking of that once yall get everything ironed out with the 5 which sounds like yall are, can we bring back those challenges? Feels like it has been forever!

4 Likes

That looks great, but like a lifetime of sanding. Please post some pics once you are finished so we can see how it turned out.

I am in the middle of pinewood derby season with 2 kids now. Unfortunately I didnā€™t use the machine to make the cars but I would like to try one and see how it looks. However, I did buy cylindrical tungsten weights that may work well for your pieces. They are 3/8 diameter and the kit I bought comes with various lengths to fine tune the weight. Once I figured out what I needed I just used CA glue to hold them into a hole in the car.

This was the set I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Pinewood-Incremental-Cylinders-Rocket-Box/dp/B072L2LLCR/ref=asc_df_B072L2LLCR/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241969730126&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3810599096078284039&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011277&hvtargid=pla-464284511253&psc=1&region_id=373786

Kinda pricey but there are other options. You wouldnā€™t want to have to buy too many of those for a chess set.

Looks awesome! Nice work!

@CullenS I appreciate it and like the idea. The walnut pieces didnt require any sanding hardly, now the sycamore pieces will take a little more but not too bad so far. The sycamore was just a stringy wood (I have never cut it so learned a little on the way). I am thinking about using another persons idea and inserted magnets for weight as well as insert magnets on the board pieces. Cheaper option as I will need 96 total. Still not fully set on the project as the community has made me do more thinking, such as scaling to regulation size and regulation weight. As well as storage under the board for the pieces and possibly dedicated table bottom.

@larsdan thank you.

I didnt know these would get this much interest so I will definitely keep it going with what i decide. This project is for me so commission items may set me back on the time.

1 Like

Thatā€™s great news. I have tons of walnut leftovers from furniture projects that I have been hording for years just knowing I would have a use some day. Most are 2ā€ thick but too short to work for furniture. I am less well supplied for contrasting wood but I have some zebra wood which may look nice.

1 Like

Super nice! Great work on this - now Iā€™m jealousā€¦

1 Like

Thank you @Capecash, this was the community i read what others are doing and tryā€¦failā€¦and then succeed eventually lol. I want to learn more designing next!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.