Dust shoe videos collection

First try at capturing a 1920x1080x30fps sequence. Meh…I’ll have to go back and adjust focus, and that piece of scrap plastic to protect the lens is not doing any good.

4 Likes

It looks like the camera is out of focus. Look at the bit, it’s for sure out of focus. Wait for my discharge from the hospital, I will post a test video from the last 8mp camera I got.
ps I’m in the hospital for a cardiac issue not COVID-19 :).

Yeah I went for focusing about 10mm below stock surface, for those deeper future deeper cuts, but at this close range the focus depth is quite limited.

2 Likes

Well at least it’s not auto focus, that would work really well through the hail of chips…

2 Likes

Mr. Julien, I’d like you to return your camera and get THIS ONE and thank me after you get it. When you get this camera, you will never look back, and that’s an honest word.
ps It comes with a lovely bag. Also, for video capture, use Debut Video Capture by NCH.

2 Likes

Being very bored at the hospital, I got this camera shipped to my hospital room. The attached video was recorded pointing the camera at my notebook screen. It’s 1920x1080 @30fps. I did not turn on the LED’s as it would of got reflected from the screen.

New Camera Test

4 Likes

I think you are quite lucky the nurses at the hospital didn’t show you how they use endoscope cameras… :grimacing:

3 Likes

Lucky me I’m here for my heart, not for colonoscopy.

3 Likes

About the “borescope” camera, there are some critical reviews on Amazon about “viruses” within the installation software. I’m not to keen on Amazon “reviews” but they do bring up things to be wary of. There are some mentions of problems with the close-in autofocus capability being rather optimistic and problems with the “lighting” and support. A 2020 review mentions a redesign of the hardware.

@ispot, perhaps you can make a hospital room test for autofocus range? :smiley:

1 Like

The camera is plug&play, you can use it with any software including Microsoft CAM. I’m using free video capture from NCH called Debut. The cam doesn’t come with any software and you don’t need to download the software mentioned in the manual. I downloaded the software, and I had no warning about a virus. I use Bitdefender Total Security for over 5 years.
I thought I did show the autofocus test when I zoomed on Julien’s video.
On the Teslong Support WEB page, the download section, there are 2 apps for windows, * Teslong Camera for Windows, and * Amcap Camera SoftWare For Windows. Both apps are virus free, but I still like Debut video capture better.

3 Likes

I love to upload videos of my projects being machined on IG and usually have to use my phone recording the entire table(but I cant listen to music with earbuds while its recording) or I have to use a cheapo knock off go pro. I know I have posted about this before but you may be able to go under the x axis for your suction tunnel like I have. I made a special insert which has a window in it so you can record the bit. I may even grab that camera you got, mount it to that plate maybe with a light ring under the router? Idk, but you got my wheels turning now! Here is a link to a video I made with the go pro and that plate with a window. https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Y76usgwGV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

7 Likes

Cool video, look at those bristles dancing !

I remember that dust shoe design of yours and I would have loved to steal it (it’s one of the very few solutions that does not reduce the X-travel), unfortunately I couldn’t because I don’t have enough clearance in the back of my machine to accomodate the dust hose there (small garage => absolute minimal enclosure dimensions…).

I’m nurturing my camera addiction right now, I received a new one yesterday that should be a good middle point between the very small (but low res) endoscope used at the start of this thread, and the high speed/high res but bulky camera shown in the latest posts. We’ll see.

3 Likes

So the newcomer in the cam family is in-between in size, about 15mm in diameter:

BUT (and I knew this, but could not resist trying it anyway) it has autofocus, which is bad for this application. Very bad.

First capture, 2594 x 1944 x 30fps:

So now I have decent resolution, but a focus that is bound to jump at random times. But it’s much more usable (size-wise) than the previous one. Sigh, choices…

5 Likes

Can you share the link, please?

It’s this one

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07L9XD23K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(sorry, French link, but I guess the mains specs are still readable)

Dang! There should be a way to disable autofocus.

Looks very good for a lot of stuff! +1

Here’s the Amazon USA link.

That’s what I am wondering about, did not have time to investigate that yet (not much hope though)

Quick FYI here…if you’re willing to do without 2-day shipping, you can score one of these on eBay for a lot less. I got one a few years ago for around $10. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xendoscope+camera.TRS0&_nkw=endoscope+camera&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=endoscope

Make sure you shop specs though. They come in different sizes, resolutions, wired/wireless, etc. and it’s very easy to confuse 5mm lens with 5mp resolution.

3 Likes

This is the one I got, and the one I recommended for you. To be very satisfied with the autofocus, try to have the camera not closer than 1.5" from the target “your bit”. I’m back home, but I still don’t have the strength to replace my board and get everything up & running again.

4 Likes

This is not the same camera. This one is available on Amazon for $15. It is 1mp, and it’s for checking your ears, and it comes with some cleaning items to clean your ears.