DXF Export or Import Bug

So I am not sure if this is a bug in Fusion360’s DXF export or with Carbide3D’s import. I typically design things in Fusion360, project the flat surfaces into a Sketch, export the sketch as a DXF, and then import the DXF into Carbide3D to do the CAM. This is mostly because I do not like how they nerfed CAM in the free version of Fusion360.

I have this sketch that I am exporting from Fusion360:

Once imported into Carbide Create it ends up looking like this:

all the curves are gone. If I bring the same DXF into InkScape the curves are back:

I know InkScape is really good at correcting weird files which is why I am not sure if this is a Fusion360 issue or a Carbide Create issue. I ended up exporting the file from InkScape as an SVG and importing that into Carbide Create.

Here is the DXF file:
Side Projection.dxf (10.7 KB)

The file looks good using Inkscape or AutoDesk Trueview, so I would assume it’s bug

1 Like

I just noticed that the four inner curves are still there. I am wondering if the issue is with how it handles a curved line outside another curved line.

A usually workable fix is to open in LibreCAD, then export as an SVG, then import the SVG.

1 Like

Yep. I used InkScape to do the same thing.

I vote to fix the DXF import in CC. You have a good dataset.

1 Like

Can you export the sketch with only the funky path?

Here you go. Its still wonky.

Side without inside.dxf (10.4 KB)

I think we found a fix, though it makes no sense since the code hasn’t change in years.

5 Likes

In fairness to your code that design has a bunch of arcs in it.

Any chance to get a Beta build of this? I am trying to hunt down a strange issue where a dimension is 2mm different between Fusion360 and the finished item. I am wondering if the conversion between Fusion → DXF → Inkscape → SVG → Carbide Create introduced it.

Funny you mention that, I just came here to post it…

3 Likes

That is funny because I had just checked the Beta release page to check if you had released one before I asked.

Good news is that the DXF imported properly and the weird dimension difference is not a Carbide Create issue. Apparently changing a Parametric Parameter in Fusion360 does not properly update projections in sketches. You have to delete the sketch and do the projection over again. So despite changing the dimension in the Parametric section of Fusion the exported DXF still had the old measurement.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.