Epiphone Flying V Guitar Stand

I bought an Epiphone Flying V guitar for my grandson. I want to make a guitar stand for it to sit in. This guitar is different from most because the bottom of the guitar has a V. I saw some metal ones and a few videos about buying some but none are very appealing. I want to make mine from wood.

Does anyone have a file for cutting a guitar stand. I ordered some of the guitar hangers that automatically close when the neck is inserted.

I looked on cutrocket.com and there was a couple of guitar related but nothing that I wanted.

Please help if you can.

I remember about a week ago someone was asking about making the brass colored plate that the strings go through.

1 Like

That was me asking about cutting brass for the V tailpiece. I don’t have any drawings for the stand, but it would be straight forward to draw out. Let me see if I have a picture.

There are fancier ones but this will give you want you need. Just modify whatever you want to make it look better.

1 Like

3 Likes

Guy, I’m thinking this guitar is screaming for an old wooden barrel lid for the bottom support. :smiley: (Maybe even a metal lid?)

The curve would make it easy for the “V” to sit in, and there’s plenty of room in the round top for you to decorate it with sentiment. The upper support might even be from a barrel stave.

Any wineries up there around Nacogdoches? :smiley:

I am not a guitar player. My question is does it hurt a guitar to hang from the neck only with no bottom support? Can some of the guitar players chime in if just hanging from the neck is good/bad. The answer to my question will help me decide on a design. I did find an interesting picture of a stand made from someone that was making a Flying V and used the cut offs to make the stand.

I am not making a guitar and have no cut offs but I have a bunch of mahagoney to build one from.

I found this one but the maker/website is not there any more.

I have these coming Wednesday from Amazon.

1 Like

For this application, either method is fine. The vertical orientation is the proper method, preferable in the case. More important is the material the finish on the guitar come in contact with. Some of the cheaper brand hangers/stands will stain the finish. We use the Hercules brand and have never had a problem.

2 Likes

We used a cradle for a double neck. Not the best idea but, not one of our most expensive guitars.

3 Likes

I like the first one you have pictured, and as long as you had some dimensions to go by, it shouldn’t need any specialized hardware.
The drawing I have is of a 59’ flying V, were the angle of the inside V is 76 degrees, the radius is 1.52, and the body thickness is 1.375"

I have the guitar but have not measured it yet. I have several projects I am working on now. I like to keep my pipeline full. I want to nail down the design. I liked the one made of off cuts. The holes maybe. I did find a flying v picture with wings I would like to incorporate with his name so the off cut one gives me room for that. The stick ones could have the name along the side.

BTW, you’re a great Grandpa for doing this.

1 Like

Gibson SG.c2d (924 KB)
Here is a design I started but my son Nick did not care for it so I bailed. I was going to use the hardware from the Hercules hanger.

Gibson Fying V
Gibson_logo
Couple files if you need them.

Just spitballing here but I drew this up from the measurements from the guitar. The tabs and holes are for dowels with some plastic tubing over them. The back will have a kickstand and a board will go up behind the neck to hold the guitar hanger.

What do you think? I will have to play with the angle of the kickstand to help put the weight of the guitar over the center but no far back that it takes up too much space. The guitar has rounded edges at the bottom but the flat feet will be angled to match the angle of the kickstand.

Whatever I make I will cut a prototype out of plywood to see if I need to an an offset to get the dowels to hold the guitar without being too tight. May need to make it longer so the bottom of the guitar does not hit the floor. Fun Fun Fun

4 Likes

I like it. Check out the wings in this file. May not be his style. A bit tribal.
Phoenix Male.c2d (1.0 MB)

We hang or use hanging type stands over here for 95% of our guitars. The A frame stands are used mostly on stage and they provide no protection from getting knocked over. I have no problem hanging a 5 or 6 figure guitar by the headstock.

Here are the two ways we hang/display guitars at my shop.

3 Likes

Ps do not use rubber tubing (like medical tubing) as it will eat the finish on the guitar neck. Use black foam type or actual plastic tubing.

1 Like

Thanks for the tubing info. My grandson has several guitars. I will likely make a wall hanging unit. This will go in his man cave room ( second bedroom).

1 Like

I got my mahagoney finger jointed and glued up tonight. I will definitely make the stand out of mahagoney and it will some form of the flying v. Here are the pics of the finger joints and the glue up.

The clamps were bowing the piece in the middle so I added a clamp to straighten it out. The finger joints are very strong but with enough pressure to bring them together the board bowed. I loosened the clamps and put the clamp down to hold it flat. I could not put one on the other side but the single clamp straightened the board out.

I will cut the stand out on the Shapeoko and engrave it with the flying v further up. I will straighten up the sides to have square edges so I can hopefully use the cutoff for the rear base piece. If not big enough I will finger joint more mahagoney and make the base piece.

2 Likes

Nice. I will save that for something else or maybe at the tuning end.