Epiphone Flying V Guitar Stand

I cut a prototype out. It was close so I redesigned it and will cut another prototype before cutting my mahogany. One thing from the prototype is the off cut can likely be my back support for the stand.

5 Likes

Here is the first prototype with the cut off clamped on.

I will have to modify the cutoff but looks promising. The round holes are for .5" dowels with plastic tubing applied over them. May use both cutoffs for stability.

The Shapeoko is just so versatile. How did I ever get along without it. Well I did with a lot of work.

7 Likes

Hey Guy,
Im not sure if this is brilliant or scary as hell! Once done, I would love to hear how well the guitar balances on this and if its prone to tipping over. It may be a bit of a balancing act (no pun intended) with the angle of the stand to get it stable.

The Gibson headstock is plenty strong for the forces of the string pressure, but breaks easily if hit from the backside (moving the headstock forward in the same direction as the string pressure). So there is no second chances if they fall off the stand.

Watching this for sure…

The pictures are just the base. There will be more and extend up to the the neck with a hanger attached. The plywood is just to see if the dimensions fit. The base and the cut off pieces are going to be 1.5" thick so they will be very heavy. There is a lot more work to be done but it is a stand to sit on the floor to store the guitar when playing and to put it when playing and need to do something else or take a break.

The metal stands I have seen and the pictures of the curved neck stands seem as they would be tippy if you push on them.

The front piece will have angled legs to match the rearward slant. The rear legs will be fixed and also have that same angle on their legs. I had thought about a kickstand and still may do something that pivots. I just need to figure out the balance between the guitar sitting too far backward and taking up a lot of floor space and no leaning far enough back and being tippy. Still experimenting.

One more consideration is using both cutoffs and angle them to the legs splay so at the bottom they are further apart and closer together at the top with the appropriate angles at the bottom to sit flat on the floor.

Thanks for the concern. You have a lot more experience with guitars than I have. I am just the donor and not the player so my experience is limited. I have built two guitars and bought 4 but they were not for me so my experience handling guitars is small.

1 Like

I was going to suggest that; not for stability, but for appearance so the legs are not so visible.

No worries. Sounds like you have a plan to extend the stand up to the headstock. That will help. Sort of like setting the guitar in a guitar shaped stand. That is brilliant!

Here is an Explorer guitar sitting in one that hangs.

3 Likes

I got my second prototype cut out and used hot glue to stick the cutoffs on. There will be a back piece to go up and have a guitar hanger on it.

Obviously the legs will need to be angled at the bottom. The pins sticking down on the front of the base will also be cut at the angle of the lean.

So do you think it will work?

7 Likes

I would not put all my trust into one peg/dowel.

1 Like

The only concern is with the depth of the legs. If you look at the metal stand i posted, you can see its probably 12" or more behind the guitar. You should be able to check with your model. Can you push on the top of the guitar and knock it over? The hanger won’t help with that. This is about the base and how sturdy it is

Perhaps a middle kickstand mounted higher up with with hinge and more distance back than offcut legs with a friction latch? I just dont want to take up excessive real estate.

I used .5" dowel. I have 1" dowels. Will see if it fits in v of guitar. The upper 2 only there for show. Maybe 2 1 inch dowels lower down. The guitar hanger will center guitar so maybe upper 2 are not needed.

Probably wont need the pegs if you have the hanger and would clean it up a bit. We generally only use stage stands for events or recording studio. They are too easy to trip over especially with all the cords running every where. 95% of the time, they live on the wall.

YES, and he will love it!

5 Likes

I discussed with my grandson on having a wall rack to hold his other 4 guitars. Right now he does not want a wall hanging rack. He is still deciding on the room arrangement. This room is a music/reloading/hobby bedroom. So I thought the stand would give the guitar a place to live while not being played and a place to put it when playing but taking a break.

I have gotten some really good suggestions from everyone. Keep them coming. This is only a prototype and not the final project.

I will make a case for the guitar eventually but I have a lot of other things in the pipeline. I did order a soft gig bag for temporary storage.

I would think the back leg should at least be perpendicular to the top of the stand. Like this

The stand will extend on up the neck. I have not gotten that far. I want to get the base down. Plus the back side of the neck is not even with the back of the guitar so I will need to compensate for that and the space of the guitar hanger.

Keep it coming I appreciate the suggestions and feedback.

Found a few more cool stands online tonight.

5 Likes

Those are nice. Would be easy on the Shapeoko. I have a 16" SCM bandsaw to resaw lumber. The lamination would be simple with a jig to clamp it up in. The wonders of the CNC world and the possibilities.

1 Like

The real key is to make sure that the center of gravity of the guitar falls inside the structure of the stand. If it’s hanging forward or back of the leg structure, you’re going to make it tippy. This is one that I made several years ago for my dad (who was a professional 7-string jazz guitarist…and who could EASILY knock over a guitar!) I used leather strips (from a guitar strap, actually) as my cushioning in the stirrups in several of this model…and it never marred any finish.

6 Likes

Those are very nice. I like the first one. That would work for the Flying V because it is bottom heavy.

Thanks for the pictures.

1 Like

Any updates on this project?

This thread makes me want to make a few stands for my music room. This set in particular would be fun. If only I could find more time

https://community.carbide3d.com/uploads/default/original/3X/8/d/8d3810a400581a238cfd17df02d4c29a6f6bebc7.jpeg