Epiphone Flying V Guitar Stand

The project was put on back burner. I had a presentation for my woodworking clun Saturday. I went to Mexia tx the last two days to get a free radial arm saw. Today a fellow woodworker is coming to flatten a mantle slab.

Tomorrow I will get it going again. I am leaning toward the first pic I posted. I have 2 mahagoney slabs glued up and sanded. I did receive my guitar hangers.

1 Like

I am back on the job with this guitar stand. I got my base piece cut out of .75" glued up mahagoney. I will glue the two pieces together tomorrow and trim them up. Then I have another piece of glued up mahagoney I will make the back piece and a kick stand. Progress.

I had almost forgot to make a cutout for the guitar strap at the bottom of the guitar.

3 Likes

Here is the graveyard of prototypes. I measured the angle of the bottom of the guitar at 80 degrees and drew it up that way. Had to increase to 82 degrees on last prototype. The mahagoney is too expensive to cut wrong. I am going to get some leather to put on top of base to cushion guitar.

The one with the vcarve I will hang on the shop wall. The rest is firewood.

7 Likes

Please comment on my Flying V Guitar Stand. There is an offset needed for the guitar hanger on the back of the stand. The kickstand will still need to have a folding mechanism worked out so the kick stand can be folded down and the whole thing stored against the wall. I could make the kickstand permanent but likely will make it hinge and fold up.

On the left lower corner of the picture are the inverted v shape from the last post. That will have a leather cover on the top to protect the guitar. This is 1.5" thick. The rest of the stand will be .75" thick.

If you want to be a bit clever with the design, you may want to consider altering the “A” support to mimmic the shape of the guitar “V” body. Maybe not a direct copy, but you can certainly replace the angles with curves and round over the edges.

Granted it is the backside and less visible, but it would complement the specific instrument it holds.

I am still in the development stage. The offset for the neck and the guitar hanger will get sculpted like the neck of the guitar. The rear kickstand will likely be half lapped through traditional methods. I was just throwing out this rough sketch to get feed back for the practicality of it. I am not a guitar player just the donor for my grandson. The one thing I have decided on is the vcarve for the Epiphone logo is to fill it with red epoxy. I thought about filling the flying v and name with epoxy but it is messy and the acrylic paint is protected by the recess. Still working on the design. I need to make a prototype for the kickstand because I want it to lever down in position and then fold up for storage. May have to offset the kickstand to give me room for the folding. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

Not sure you need the side dowels. If it hangs from the headstock, then the bottom center dowel will keep it centered. I can’t see any purpose for the side dowels with this design.

1 Like

The dowels are not in this version. The guitar will set on the inverted V and the neck clamp will hold it in place. I will put leather on the top of the inverted V and leather on the back rest up to the start of the neck. I got a leather belt on clearance that is the same width of the inverted V. I also bought leather remenants bag at Hobby Lobby for the back rest. The piece going up to the tumers will have Epiphone vcarved and red epoxy filled.

Here is the inverted V. 1.5" thick. The notch on the left is for the strap stud.

4 Likes

You need to add a secret slot in the guitar stand where you can put a hardcopy of the transcript of this long thread. Just imagine one day when your grandkid has his own grandkids… the grandkids will look at it and be able to reflect on the crazy amount of work, love and thought that went into this.

6 Likes

I actually fell asleep last night thinking about this thread and Flying V Stands. I woke up a little while later with a full blue-print in my head on how to make a short style stand that seems to actually be worth a prototype. Now if I just had time…

Joe

2 Likes

Made progress. I got the whole stand cut out but not glued up. Here is the pictures.

All I have left to do is make a retainer for the kickstand so it can fold down.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Getting close to finishing. Fully assembled. I just need to finish sand and put some wipe on poly.

Back

11 Likes

Guy,
Very nice. Now that it’s assembled, would you do anything different if you were to make another? Or is this the bees knees. Trying to decide if I’m going to steal your design. Lol.

I am not a guitar player and have no experience with using a guitar or stand. I had a bunch of mahagoney and finger jointed it together. So I was at the mercy of what material I had. I did not put enough thought into the kickstand and how to secure it. However I think this will work well. The flying V is a unique design and has challenges to make. The neck is quite offset from the bottom of the guitar and so I had to glue up several pieces to get the offset. The guitar hanger I bought I actually cut off part because it stuck out so far. So if I were to make a different one I would just make a curved stand that would hold the guitar by the neck alone. As I said the flying v is unique in guitars so I think this one will work. Only time will tell and how my grandson likes it. I was limited to using 24" stock so if I did it again I would start with longer and wider stock to make it differently. One more thing I would change with this design is to make the kickstand more evenly match up with the base when closed. Right now when the stand is folded up the kickstand is longer than the base. Live and learn.

2 Likes

One of the things I like most is that it does display the guitar at a great viewing angle. Great job Guy! I know he will love it and probably value it more than the guitar that it display’s.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 28 days. New replies are no longer allowed.