Epoxy inlay in epoxy?

I cant find much information on this so I figured I would ask before designing my project. Is it possible to make a vcarve in epoxy without it chipping and maintaining clean lines? I added the file to give a visual of what im trying to do. Basically every thing under the city skyline will be epoxy (water effect) after that is all cured I want to carve out the fisherman and the name, then fill with epoxy. Has anyone done anything like this, if so what kind of bit and speeds would be best. I was going to use a 1/8 down cut and a 30 vbit

City fisher.c2d (264 KB)

yes for sure you can cut it cleanly (assuming proper curing sharp bits, speed and feeds etc)

There are a few good examples. here is the first one I came across What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today? - #3142 by RichM

but people have done large signs fairly regularly as well cutting and repouring epoxy

4 Likes

Absolutely you can carve into epoxy! I do it a lot. I suggest just using the feeds & speeds in CC for hardwood. They seem to work well for me. I do suggest down cut bits to prevent any chipping. I pocket 0.1" - 0.125" deep into wood or epoxy for my inlays. Seems to be deep enough to get good colouring and not waste epoxy. I do suggest using shellac to seal any wood before pouring epoxy into it to prevent staining. It’s not needed when pouring an epoxy inlay into other epoxy.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.