Feed Hold Switch

Since this is not a business no problem there, however I think you should remove your email from the post and let folks contact you via the private messages system, just so your email address does not get harvested by the evil internet spamming minions

1 Like

Julien,
Thanks! and doneā€¦

Will you mount it like the power button (mill a hole in the left plate)?
Iā€™ve got a FeedHold and resume wired, but I havenā€™t decided on the actual switches yet. I have an old two switch box I might use for now.

Just a thoughtā€¦

In my head, if I had two buttons that look alike and are mounted alike, I would probably hesitate while my thinking says, ā€œpause button?ā€

OTOH, I would estimate that 70% of my pauses are not Panic Pauses, but are often just to let me double check something before it might go wrongā€¦(ie. tighten a clamp, notice it doesnā€™t seem like itā€™s centered, etc.)

I am thinking about it. Is the plate structural at all? If so I wonā€™t be able to mill it with it removed :slight_smile: I guess drill press but I donā€™t have a bit that big.

If I was going that route Iā€™d use a drill press.
I have a resume switch as well, so symmetry doesnā€™t matter. Iā€™ll use an external box or panel.

Now that you mention it I do have some forstener bits that size.

Iā€™m putting my feed hold, resume, DIY bitrunner, and e-stop controls all on the same box

5 Likes

Does the feed-hold switch work differently on the Pro, compared to the S3?

On the S3, pressing the feed-hold button does ā€˜holdā€™ the process, but you will need to press the feed-hold button a second time before control goes back to CM. I donā€™t thing thereā€™s an ā€˜feed-unholdā€™ (resume?) facility to ā€˜resumeā€™ the process without going back to CM.

If it can be done on the Pro, this is a really good step forward, because itā€™s pretty poor not having it on the S3, IMHO.

Thatā€™s exactly how it works in my Pro

1 Like

Hmm, so Iā€™d be interested to know how @trailblazer84562ā€™s ā€˜button boxā€™ would work, then!

I believe that to trigger a resume, a wire needs to be connected to spot on the boardā€™s processor chip (one that doesnā€™t have a pin connected to itā€¦ (ie. precise soldering and possible warranty issues))
This is based on previous discussions of how to trigger a ā€œresumeā€.
I think that pressing the pause button a second time (to allow the screen resume button to be active for a mouse click) is acceptable.
Why?
When you want to pause, it is sometimes in a ā€œpanicā€ situation. On the other hand, your desire to resume, is a more ā€œleisureā€ action. You donā€™t have to resume in a panic, so finding the resume button on the screen and clicking on it is not done under duressā€¦

3 Likes

The resume pin is A2, itā€™s broken out. Requires soldering, but definitely not precision soldering like trying to attach directly to a pin.
I have one like this that Iā€™ll use until I have a better idea.

1 Like

So technically I have an SO4, but it seems to be the same as the pro electrically. One push of the feed hold and the router pauses and retracts slightly. At this point, if I push the resume (connected to A2 pin, which indeed has a dedicated and labeled pad) it will resume. If I push feed hold a second time, carbide motion acts as though I had pressed pause, and I need to resume from the software.

2 Likes

The bit runner is back in stock.

1 Like

Hey all, thank you for taking the time to post what youā€™ve found. Iā€™m planning on implementing a Feed-Hold button by creating a plug in harness that will go between the Z-axis cable connector and the board connector. Is there any reason that I couldnā€™t use the ground pin on that connector (same one as the Z axis sensor) for the Feed-Hold button? This would make for a cleaner harness and be one less connector to buy.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Noā€¦

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. Iā€™ll report back once I get some parts to work with.

2 Likes

Harness works perfectly. I made a short, 2in, cable with a split out for the feed hold leads. Easy to install and didnā€™t require modifying the existing cable.

5 Likes

Well I know what Iā€™m doing this morning! Nice work! Did not realize the feed hold was broken out in the Z cable.