First batch of HDZ for Shapeoko 4 and Pro is available

You can grab one of the first batch of HDZ’s for Shapeoko 4 or Pro at:

We’re not sure about demand so we’re putting the first batch for sale now but, if we run out, there should be more to follow as soon as we can build them.

16 Likes

Hey @robgrz,
Will there be a chance to get this as an option with a machine purchase?
What about a trade-in / up for all those Z+s out there?

2 Likes

We’ve thought about making the HDZ an option when purchasing so we’ll evaluate that once we get existing demand taken care of and we make sure the supply chain is stable. (Which is a big challenge right now.)

We can’t really do a trade-in because we can’t do anything with the returned units except recycle them since they’re used and there’s no other market for them.

2 Likes

If I just got my PRO, this week was this included or do I still need to upgrade?

1 Like

The HDZ is a separate item, it’s not included with the Pro or Shapeoko 4. Whether you “need” to upgrade is a different question. It’s totally up to you but the Z-Plus that comes with the Pro and 4 is great for most people.

Really excited for these, thanks Rob!

3 Likes

Things that make you go “hmmm”.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Ordering now.

edit: 80MM mounts appear out of stock, cries. Can’t have everything nice all at once I guess :smiley:

6 Likes

I just measured my PRO and there’s only about 110mm of clearance under the X-Axis gantry. How am I supposed to take advantage of the 140mm of travel?

The z can lift up higher to use longer tools and still clear your part, if that’s something you need.

6 Likes

@DCFYI you have been asking about these

3 Likes

You mean instead of just raising the router in its mount? Doesn’t seem like a big deal to me.

I am pretty sure the increased strength and ability to use a heavy spindle are the main aspect of this purchase for most people. That is a big deal for me.

3 Likes

Is the leadscrew on the Zplus liable to bend when used with a heavy spindle? Or is this about the motor on the HDZ being stronger? I’m using an 800w spindle on my stock SO4 and I haven’t noticed any issues yet.

If you have an 80mm spindle mount, it won’t fit on the Z-Plus.

The leadscrew on the Z-Plus should be fine for you with your spindle.

1 Like

I think it’s more the thread pitch and the precision of the ballscrew on the HDZ are better at lifting a heavy spindle than the lead screw on the ZPlus. The linear rails take the brunt of forces, and I can’t imagine the structure of the HDZ being too much stronger than the already beefcake of a ZPlus.

3 Likes

I do not have a ZPlus, but I have two HDZs and they are distorting gravity. :nerd_face:

If ZPlus=beefcake the dense/heavy meat dish, then HDZ=grandma’s fruitcake. :yum:

If ZPlus=beefcake a muscular man, then HDZ=Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime. :grinning:

2 Likes

Super awesome!!! Just ordered, but sad that there are no 80mm mounts :frowning:

2 Likes

Same!

I emailed support and they said 2-3 weeks. Hopefully, that’s the case and not the same “2-3 weeks” that the HDZ was supposed to be in June :smiley:

The 80MM mounts are a lot simpler than the HDZ so let’s hope for the best with that estimate!

1 Like

Luckily the mount really just relies on them making a part in-house with nothing else sourced but a few bolts and anodizing. Obviously the HDZ is an assembly that requires vendors. :smiley:

3 Likes