First Project as a newbe

Newbe here…just finished install today. Set up a project (simple) in Carbide Create, send G-code to Carbide Motion. Went through all the steps (I think). Here is my job information.

Then run job…

Spindle moves to start position and starts, moves slightly and then stops.

Any suggestions?

Please post the file.

C&J Creations Logo.c2d (196 KB)

logo test.c2d (1002 Bytes)

The C&J Creations Logo.c2d file seems fine.

The logo test.c2d file is G-code and should have a .nc file extension — but you don’t need to make it — you can just send the first file.

G90 
G21
(Toolpath:...)
M05
M0 ;T102
M03S18000
G0X-57.927Y-12.779
Z0.250
G1Z-0.762F381.0
X-58.111Y-12.775F1143.0
X-58.297Y-12.762
X-58.486Y-12.739

&c.

so the files look fine?? also, i went through the set zero steps and all appeared OK. the material is a piece of oak. not sure next steps.

You are writing out G-code with a .c2d file extension.

Write out G-code with a .nc file extension.

See:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/carbide-create-v7/

i just downloaded V7. will that output the right extension. Also, I have Carbide Motion v618. is there an updated version?

Carbide Create v7 removes the option of writing out G-code as noted in the link above.

CM 618 is the current stable version, but you should try the beta:

https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/beta

ii used V7 and Motion beta and everything worked!!! first project down, many more to go.

6 Likes

On second project…material loaded 8"x6.26"x1". File loaded (see attached). Set bit zero (paper method) and bit setter used. i keep getting the following message. any ideas?
Tray.c2d (80 KB)

Both your projects you have used the Center of the piece as your starting point.
Which is fine. Most projects use the bottom left of the project as the starting point.

Where on the wood stock did you set the Zero?

1 Like

i set it in the center of the wood stock.

1 Like

Also, I don’t think you want to use the McFly to do your pocket cut.
The McFly is meant to be a surfacing bit. If you do a .25 pocket with that bit, you will likely have problems.

Tray V2 for CC forum.c2d (76 KB) Center Start

Tray V2 for CC forum.c2d (76 KB) Lower left start

I switched the McFly out for a .25 EM and made an offset vector .125" smaller so the Roundover bit will still work on the bottom of the Tray.

maybe start with 1/4 and finish with the 1"???

Where on your wasteboard did you locate your stock?
My guess is that the warning means the center of your stock and your zero set point will cause the machine to crash into the Limit switches.

I put a fence made from wood on the front of my machine. Use my router to jog along the fence (while on) to get a square edge of the fence to the machine. I also use the lower left as my starting point on 99% of my jobs.

The red stripe at the bottom of my stock is the fence. It helps me align my projects; if I crash into it, it’s not a big deal.

1 Like

If you are worried about the final sanding, do the pocket in two stages. Stage one is 00 to .23 with a .125 stepover. Then, do a “finish” pass from .23 to .25 but reduce the stepover from .125 to .0625. It will probably be faster to run it how it is and use some 220 grit sandpaper to clean up the tooling marks, but I get it if you want to try that out to improve your skills, etc.

I don’t see any benefit to using the McFly on this piece unless you want to surface just the top of the piece.
Tray V2 for CC forum with Finish Pass on bottom of pocket.c2d (76 KB)

used your file, changed the bit, did a bit zero on the machine at lower left. Still got a similar message.

BTW…my stock in about in the middle of the waste board.

here is my set up