First try 1" thick acrylic

Well, I have been fortunate (or unfortunate) as time will tell, to obtain lots of cast acrylic in thickness of 1/8", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1". Lots of different sheet sizes with some of the 1" being even 4’x8’.
Now the challenge. I cut some walnut boards with a lion face (file to large to attached ) for my daughters Hope Scholars Academy awards and now would like to provide the same in 1" acrylic 3D for the 4 graduating seniors. I have CCPro and have taken the original wood based file and tried to adjust for acrylic, slowing down the RPM and increasing the IPM feed rate.
Would appreciate any feed back before I start down this path as to all parameters and even what bits might provide the best potential outcomes.

Thanks in advance for all your great input.

The Hard Plastic settings in Carbide Create should be a good starting point:

Where possible I’d recommend using coated single flute tooling.

For more on this see the videos at:

1 Like

Awesome material find !
I have been mentally playing with the idea of milling thick acrylic but have yet to come across a no-brainer cache of material.

Send pictures when available

So this is the design I cut into walnut with CCPro/CM.
The problem now is that since I can’t get back into the model design except for a very few parameters, I can’t adjust the design to handle a 1" thick acrylic instead of the 1.5" walnut.

Anyone know of a way to get into all the design elements in the model area of CCPro so as to change them? Can it be done in the CM code and if so, how?

I don’t have the original stl to start over with this design and the recipient desires to have this lion face over all others.

I would like to cut this lion face into a 3D model about 0.5" into the 1" thick acrylic.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Export the 3D model as a PNG and re-import it?

Exported and them imported. Messed around for a while but I think I got it back! YEA!

I will know for sure tomorrow when I try to cut it.

THANK YOU Will. You always come through with ideas and solutions.

BTW: I took a snowflake image from the library file and cut it into the 1" thick acrylic. I only had a 1/8" 2 flute compression bit but ran it at a ipm rate of 120 and rpm of 10000 and it cut great without any slowing, bogging down or any chip issues. Just used the sweepy and all was sucked up nicely. Thanks for that feedback also!