Flag Sign made with PVC Board

How long did it take to machine the flag pvc sheets?

ts been a while since i made it but it wasnā€™t crazy long. Maybe an hour

1 Like

I tried this today in Pineā€¦most of my stars got obliterated? It made me sad.
was your settings ā€œonlyā€ for this pvc stuff? I used a 1/16th end millā€¦Not sure what I could do to make it work, hoping you guys do

Pine is not a good wood for that. It would be better if those stars were carved below the surface.

I used poplar for a 3D version and had to live with the stars being less distinct than I like.

And yes, the feeds and speeds for pine will be much different than those for PVC. Think about the differences between the two materials.

4 Likes

Alrighty then. Back to the drawing board it is. Thanks CWT I appreciate it

Iā€™ve only done mine with PVC. Itā€™s a lot stiffer than pine so the stars cut very clean. I used a #112 0.063 flat end mill. Feed rate 45, plunge 17.

1 Like

Hereā€™s one more I did with PVC.
I like using PVC. Cuts pretty clean with very little cleanup.
If I cover the top with Tyvek House wrap tape before I cut it cuts even cleaner and makes painting easier.
Eliminates overspray from the letters and the MI State insignia on the top coat.

IMG_1240

Love Michigan.nc (404.0 KB) Love Michigan.c2d (233.3 KB)

2 Likes

Love this @baricl - would you mind doing a close up picture on the letter / insignia walls, totaly cool if you are busy but would love to see how crisp the PVC comes out as

Jon

1 Like

I dont have one available right now i can take a picture of. But the cutting is very clean. I just do a little clean up on the walls with a small round file. Only takes a few minutes to clean up before painting.

1 Like

How did you adhere the Tyvek to the PVC prior to milling?

I used the Tyvek TAPE, not the wrap. So it already has adhesive on it

1 Like

I wonder if using a light amount acetone on a brush would leave a glossy finish like it does on ABS 3d prints? Then the bottom and edges of the cut would be glossy. I guess it will depend on how airy the boards are.

Something to test on a scrap cut for sure.

I use oramask on PVCā€¦ Works great.
I tested blue tape and tyvek tape as a mask. The blue tape did better and is much cheaper. The oramask works the best and is cost effective.

2 Likes

Thanks for this info @baricl and @neilferreri. Iā€™m going to give this a try in the next month for an interior sign. I have plenty of 4" wide masking tape that I will try.