Followup on Trim Vectors issue?

Will the Trim Vectors issue be resolved in a release of CC in the near future?

OG Trim Vectors issue

I understand this is likely a selfish request, but without a reliable workaround (the one identified in the original issue thread does not always work), I am wasting a fair amount of time trying to nudge CC in a way that makes it recognize what I want to do so it will allow me to trim vectors on these basic shapes.

Thank you

As is not noted often enough, the underlying mathematics here are hard, and we all-too-often fail to appreciate that these features exist and work as well as they do.

For a more robust work-around, export the geometry as an SVG, open in Inkscape or some other vector editor, perform the operation there, re-save as an SVG, import the modified geometry and drag it into alignment w/ the original (include a piece of geometry at the origin to make this automatic), then delete the original.

2 Likes

Understood on the prioritization for sure.

Thank you for the workaround suggestion. I think I’ll just save a scratch file in CC with the shapes I commonly use and draw from that as needed.

1 Like

I tried offsetting the circle, then offsetting it back to original size & that works.
Quicker: Create it too big, then offset it to the right size.
although that creates a lot more nodes. ???
I do tend to use the “Cut Vector” command to do this as much as Trim Vectors

The resizing (manually, not by adjusting the diameter or radius) had been the most reliable solution, but even that sometimes fails to get recognized. I’ve tried all kinds of movement and fudging to try to get it to pop and ‘see’ it.

After creating this thread, I moved the circle I was trying to cut to a horizontal edge of the cutting rectangle, rather than the vertical edge - that seemed to do it, so I was able to cut, rotate and resize to get what I needed.

I’m good to go with a workaround, but when those tricks fail and nothing else works it’s a little frustrating.

Thanks for the follow-up!

I believe it would help if folks would send files which have this difficulty (simplified down to only the geometry in question) to support@carbide3d.com — we’ll add them to our list of examples, and this will help in testing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.