Fonts for small letters

Hi everyone, I am a brand new owner and could use some advise on font choices.

I am trying to make some coasters with v-carved fonts and would appreciate information on what type of fonts carve the cleanest. The lettering won’t be very tall as I am trying to have three lines in a 3.25" square and would like them to be deep enough to fill.

Any font should work — perhaps try a more acute V endmill?

As @WillAdams said any will work.

I did some coasters as Christmas gifts with Bamboo cutting boards from the Dollar Store. Attached is one of my test files if you want.

Coaster Test.c2d (484 KB)

1 Like

Small lines require a 15/20/30 degree vee bit. The 90/60 will barely scratch the surface of very fine lines and small objects.

Another approach is to use a single line (‘stick’) font, and use a small endmill. Good stick font seem to be hard to find, and most software doesn’t work well with then because they don’t have an enclosed area.

BUT, a font I have used in the past that ‘emulates’ a stick font is the oddly named ZNiko font, available here:

It’s actually an extremely narrow font, so you can just do a contour cut on it using an endmill and it looks like a stick font. Here is a dog show prize I made - the ‘bone’ is about 1" across on the middle part of the bone. I used a 1mm endmill to carve it.

5 Likes

Excellent point.

Also see:

1 Like

I would like to thank everyone for the prompt and sage advice.

This is an impressive group.