Greatsword of Artorias, in progress

I’m not a cosplayer or gamer, but a friend jokingly asked me to make him a sword. After poking around a bit, I found a model on Cults3D from 308thworkshop. It’s big at 55 inches, a true double-handed greatsword. Still have to cut the backside of the hilt and add the handle. Two carbon-fiber tubes in the center will keep the wood from warping. Thinking to paint it black, then dry brush silver highlights to get an aged black steel look. So far, so good. :slightly_smiling_face:

22 Likes

Experiment with Silver or Bronze Rub N Buff on a sample of the same wood. Paint it black like you said and sand it smooth. Then apply some Rub N Buff. The stuff is amazing.

2 Likes

@wyovino, I looked at that product once; it looked really good, but I couldn’t find an MSDS for it in a quick search. On your recommendation, I’ll definitely take another look. Thanks for the tip!

Kevin did this with great success and mentioned it in at least one video, maybe:

1 Like

Here’s a project I did on MDF. First I sprayed it with a flat red paint/primer. Then I sprayed it with flat black, intentionally leaving a very small amount of the red showing through.Then I coated it with silver Rub N Buff diluted with a little mineral spirits. It’s difficult to see the sheen in the photo, but in person it looks like metal.

6 Likes

@wyovino Wow, super nice work!

1 Like

@WillAdams thanks for the link; it’s helpful to see the product in actual use