Grounding for your vacuum hose?

Let me preface this with, I am no electrician, nor do I have knowledge in electrical diagraming or flow chart.

I have not had a static issue in the past. But here lately, I’m guessing it may have something to do with the weather, for some reason when working at my SPXXL my hair is occasionally standing up.

I have seen where people have wrapped bare wire around the length of the hose and have the end touching the cement floor. But to get a proper ground could you just stick it in the ground hole of an outlet?

Do you have a copper plumbing pipe near enough to connect to the ground wire? I often seen this done, but I’m not an electrician either and can’t say for sure that it’s the right thing.

The safe way to do that would be to get a replacement plug end, and just hook up the ground wire. If the wire is bare (no insulation), you should try to tape off the other two contacts, “just in case”.

As an upgrade, you could get a hose that has a support wire embedded in it. Grounding that would ground the hose pretty well, since the wire is embedded into the material of the hose. Something like:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/workshop/dust-collection/parts-and-accessories/111962-polyurethane-clear-dust-collection-hose?item=03J6552

1 Like

Lee Valley also has a grounding kit.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/workshop/dust-collection/parts-and-accessories/62616-grounding-kit-for-dust-collection-systems?item=03J6201

Anthony

2 Likes

This is what I did to help cure my issues.

Grounding your Shapeoko - CNC Machines / Shapeoko - Carbide 3D Community Site

You may as well have written this in Greek or ancient Myan.
As I stated in the first post. “I am no electrician, nor do I have knowledge in electrical diagraming or flow chart.”

1 Like

You can run a wire along your dust hose. My hose has a wire spiraling around it. I bared the spiral wire and connected the wire that I was going to run with it. Secured the wire to the hose with zip ties. Secured the wire to my dust collector’s metal case. This took care of the majority of my issues. If it continues I will be happy to coach you further if you would like.

2 Likes

Re-post from last year on the same topic

I’m an electrical engineer and the round plug is called the ground and that short for bonding ground. It keeps you from getting shocked.

It connects to any metal box that holds electronics.

The

If you have this kind of J box you can just connect ground wire to the outside of it and you’ve got the same ground.

People generate a lot of static electricity, so if you make a static ground, you should put a small plate by your CNC and touch it when you come up to your CNC. Yes, you may get a little shock. You could also buy a static discharge wristband this would keep you from discharging straight into your CNC and possibly hurting it.

This is just scratching the surface of a very big topic.

Working for NASA. We have lost rockets because of static discharge (not lately). Have damaged lots of equipment It’s a big problem.

3 Likes

If you aren’t comfortable with any of the above you can literally get a bucket of wet dirt, put a conductor rod in there, and hook a wire from hose to the rod. Just be sure the dirt stays moist.

1 Like

A metal bucket, I would assume.

Nope. Just a regular old bucket.

Sometimes I over think things

On the Shapeoko the two side rails have 42 ohms to ground. Cross rail is not grounded.

If you need a ground you could pull it from one of these bolts. This is safe for you (per UL and national electric Code) and the equipment.

Now I could get into Bonding vs Equipment ground but I will not.

Shapeoko electronics are safe. I am not saying the software could not get a bump on occasion. If this is worrying you get the wrist strap and clip it to the side rail.

2 Likes

The machine frame is sorta grounded through the control box, the PSU brings mains ground through to 0V on the controller which is then bonded via the heatsink to the frame rail.

As you spotted, frequently the X beam on the older plastic wheel and belt machines, has no real path to ground and can build up a significant charge which causes disconnects when it finally discharges, same with the Z assembly where the router is double insulated and the case not grounded.

Just running a ground up the drag chain from one of the Y rails to the X rail and Z carriage sorts most of this.

If you have a VFD spindle then that should be grounding the Z carriage, if the shell of the VFD spindle is not grounded then you have bigger problems than some static.

1 Like

The anodized bits are very electrically insulated, For example, there is no continuity between the Y linear bearing rails to the t-slots of the bed of my Pro4.

Now that I know that, I’ll be adding more ground straps.

1 Like

A metal or wood bucket, I could kinda see, but not a plastic bucket.

My understanding is the (bare) wire should be on the inside of the hose, as that’s where the static is generated. To get the wire out of the hose (so you can connect it to a ground point) poke a small hole or have it exit under a hose clamp connection point.

1 Like

This makes sense to me.

If you worry about wiring and there is no bare water plumbing or similar nearby, have a look at something like this:

The alligator clip connects to your wire.

One last option from me.

You can get a ground from the face plate mounting Screws. You can just use the regular screws but they are painted so I use a bole and two nuts.

Made quick youtube video on this topic

have fun be safe

1 Like

Look at the same problem for Woodworking dust collectors.
eBay dust collector wire set.

Grounding Wire Ground Kit for Wood Dust Collector 789611030827 | eBay
how to:
How to Ground a Dust Collection System in 06 Easy Steps (2022) (diyquickly.com)
Remember that there is a wire inside a flexible hose (usually) and attaching that will provide a ground. I would still wrap the outside of the hose,