gSender from Sienci Labs - CNCjs based sender

@neilferreri Are the contents of that zip the same as these ? CNCjs-Macros/Initial & New Tool at master · cncjs/CNCjs-Macros · GitHub

Also the first comment

;***This macro should be run to establish your tool length offset AFTER you set your original Z work zero***

Not sure I follow. If I run this macro on startup, and then set my Z0 height, will that be incorrect?

No, those you linked predated the bitsetter and can be used by those without a bitsetter. They do the same thing but just include extra pauses for adding/removing probe wires.
The ones in the zip folder are the same as the BitSetter ones on my GitHub.

Yes. Set your Z0 first, then run the Initial Tool macro. After that, run the New Tool macro anytime you want to change tools. You can even run new jobs as long as Z0 stays the same. If you reset the controller, you’ll have to run the Initial Tool macro again.
Remember, Z0 will persist across jobs and power downs.

Okay. Is there a way to call the toolchange macro from the Settings for tool change? Or I guess another option is to just paste the toolchange macro code inside that setting?

As of the the last version, set the Toolchange thing to “code”, but leave it blank. On an M6, a box will popup asking if you’re ready to resume after Toolchange… Click cancel. Run the macro. Click resume when it’s done.
It’s on my list to write something up with screenshots, but I have three young kids and no free minutes. I’ve also been in touch with the guys over there, so it’ll eventually be a more intuitive workflow.
I think I’ll ask them to add a “macro” option to Toolchange. I’d rather not have to click cancel…seems weird. Maybe a change to the dialog and then a simple ok to get rid of the box.

1 Like

Yeah running a macro on toolchange (or in combination with gcode) would be great. In the world of 3d printing for klipper you can just [mymacroname] and the gcode will run that macro.

I’ll keep a keen eye on things. CM seems to be going down a path (too many prompts/warnings) that isn’t the best for my workflow, need to guard my Pi install package and back it up :slight_smile:

You can.
I like having the option, though.

For example, some CAM programs will insert an M6 for the first tool. One might not like probing a tool that was already used to set Z0.
Or maybe you ran your first op and when it gets to a toolchange you realize you forgot to run the Initial Tool macro… An automatic running of code could be messy.

Currently, it works. There’s just the weird part where you have to click cancel to run a macro. There’s a lot that could be better and they seem willing to chip away at those things.

1 Like

Like you say, options are where it’s at! I have started modifying my facing NC’s to remove the toolchange at the start. Typically I’ll have them remove 0.5mm stock, and I run them multiple times depending how bad the workpiece is. Having it probe at the start of each run is annoying. First, I know to expect my facing ops to be like this. Second, I have a file name convention.

MyFacing-TOPCENTER-NOTOOL indicates it’s expecting a Z0 on top of the workpiece and at the center, and that it won’t be doing a tool change to start off the file.

Agree, I find it very strange now with the bitsetter enabled having the machine measure the tool after the initialization and then when you go to jog/zero your stock it’s asks you to go measure the tool again. I understand it’s to make sure no one changes the tool at this point and cause Z-axis issues but feels really odd. I wish the flow would be a little different and avoid these prompts by prompting you to set your stock zero after the initialization and only once the Z zero is set have the machine automatically go measure the same tool on the bitsetter eliminating the opportunity for a user to accidentally change tools and throw off this critical measurement.

1 Like

Seeing the number of “my Z plunged and ruined my workpiece” posts, I get it, but at the same time, this could be an option. An “advanced” option even. Or hell, a setting in an INI file somewhere that isn’t in the GUI. Competition is fierce and Z-plunge posts probably look bad on the brand.

CM doesn’t really ask you to insert a tool after/when setting zero. It does this once during intialization (not after it) and once when you start a job. So two prompts before you are cutting material.

(edit: apparently there’s a new prompt in newer versions of CM I’m unaware of, so my comment here is based on the older version of CM I’m running… sorry for any misdirection or confusion)

3 Likes

I’m not sure that number is much greater than the number of beginners. :smiley:

I plunged/ruined a couple of times before I realized that running the Probe Z Zero by itself wasn’t supposed to have the Zero Probe block hanging over the edge.

It happens, and you learn from it. (I might have aired my “hate” for the BitSetter a few times :smiley: , but I learned. I don’t think I should blame the “brand” for my screw ups.

However, I’m still absolutely for a switch to get out of Beginner’s Mode in CM. I’m not holding my breath, and I am using the “Exit” button to solve my problems with gSender.

2 Likes

Setup a Pi with a fresh install and played with gSender v1 a bit. While I somewhat prefer the sharp UI of CNCjs, gSender is pretty crafty and thoughtful. The firmware menu is a quality feature. The settings menu is quite nice, easy to use and configure; keyboard shortcuts and the like are a breeze. UI running on the Pi has been stable enough so far, though it does seem to struggle a little when I try to reopen a minimized instance. I experienced one lock up.

I uploaded Neil’s initial/new tool change JSON file into the macros tab, worked perfectly.

The probing widget works well. The doc’s lack detail on plate setup, but there isn’t much to it. Standard Probe and Z probe options. The standard probe option works with any XYZ corner touch plate, including the carbide bitzero. I haven’t played with it too much, but I don’t believe there is a convenient way to probe XYZ and Z with different plate offsets. My guess, they anticipate that you’ll simply flip the plate, which is in my opinion, more practical.

With soft limits enabled, I got mildly undesirable jogging behavior. In normal or precise mode, if keyboard shortcut is continuously depressed for smooth jogging, the axis will move in only one direction(right arrow or left arrow, x axis will move left ect). Triggers a travel limits alarm. Seems to work fine with UI inputs or momentary keyboard commands.

Provided it remains stable, I am going to continue to use it. Has a lot of nice features while maintaining simplicity.

I’m super excited for the next 6 months in development for gSender. I don’t think it’s quite there for my workflow for tool changing… but that said when I have the time I should try out some air cut jobs first to verify that statement :slight_smile: Once they beef up the tool changing a bit I think it will be awesome.

I have an old 17" widescreen on the wall now. I am already missing the 7" Pi touch screen I use with CM, but it sounds like reduced resolution support is far away for gSender.

gSender does expect one to “flip the plate” for the Z-zero alone. The defaults are for the Sienci zero block, but there are Settings to input the dimensions of the C3D BitZero dimensions. Zeros won’t be right unless the Settings are accurate.

Anyone know if gSender has soft limits while jogging or any kind of collision detection based on set zero (XYZ) and job dimensions? This should be fairly easy to throw an alert for the XY planes although a little trickier in the Z direction with tool changes as it would have to verify after each tool change.

I ask because reading the documentation I got the impression that the machine limits are related to the machine endstop buttons which we do not have expect for the a homing switch location. Likely me misinterpreting the documentation so I thought I’d ask.

No, I don’t think it limits.

GRBL has setting for soft limits. G20=1 enables soft limits. G130, G131, G132, XYZ respectively, define travel limits. gSender makes this a little easier via their firmware settings menu.

gSender seems to handle jogging and soft limits rather nicely. Instead of putting the controller into a warning state when jogged into a soft limit, it will respond similarly to Carbide Motions internal limits. You can continue to Jog around without additional inputs. See my earlier post about odd jogging behavior with soft limits enabled, its not a big deal though.

As for limits with respect to gcode intructions, there is a built in widget that will trace your maximal work dimensions. So with soft limits enabled, you will find out if it exceeds work space. I did not see any documentation on this feature. I recommend you ensure that you have soft limits enabled when testing this feature.

2 Likes

It looks like they improved gSender. Introducing gSender | Sienci Labs Going to give it a shot

Does it support bittsetter?

You will have to build your own macro for it. I am pretty sure @neilferreri has done it already though.

1 Like