Guitar build; first ever. Learn with me

Well, this is exciting! To me anyway.

Cuts are done, couldn’t be happier. Now lots of sanding and some hand shaping on the horns.

Still need to cut the fretboard, thinking Wenge or Bocote. Any opinions?

I don’t believe I’m going to stain anything. Probably just some sort of high gloss clear. That will darken the maple neck and African mahogany a bit.

11 Likes

Are you making this guitar for your self or some one else? I made a laptop slide guitar a few years ago for my grandson. He still plays it. My first attempt I screwed up the fret board and just started over on a second one for my grandson. After I got the grandson’s guitar finished i reworked the original and gave it to a friend that plays guitar. I cannot chew bubble gum and walk at the same time so I am not a guitar player.

What a journey it was though, making it yourself, right?

It’s for my grandkids, whichever shows an interest. I hope I “have” to make a few more. I also hope to learn to play.

6 Likes

I commend your level of dedication sir, this is seriously awesome :guitar: :sunglasses:

Informed opinion, no, but I would go with bocote for the interesting look of the grain (and the wenge may bring just a little too much contrast?). I have some bocote I keep wanting to use for inlays, beautiful wood.

I would do that same, this is a very nice piece of woodworking (CNC counts), and I like the “natural” look of unstained wood more and more.

4 Likes

I agree with Julien. I think the contrast of the wenge might be a little much, and it looks like the grain and color variance in the bocote would play perfectly off the body and not be too stark against the neck. Awesome work, Griff and very inspiring!!!

On the other hand…depending on your pickups, bridge, and hardware (etc) color… that wenge might be perfect

2 Likes

Thanks gentlemen. I, too, am leaning towards Wenge as pups, tuners and bridge are all black. (Gettin’ the jargon down, half the battle with understanding a new interest haha).

@Julien, that’s why I bought these slices, plans for inlay work. One thing at a time.

3 Likes

This is an awesome build. Thank you for sharing your journey!

3 Likes

Finished the fretboard and electronics cover today, all CNC work complete.

I may do the e-cover again since it’s cross grain, we’ll see what it looks like finished.

Next comes learning how to do fretwork and making the necessary tools wherever I can. Interspersed with a LOT of sanding.

7 Likes

Definitely a big WOW! Very nice work. All that’s needed is tuners , strings and a learn to play book. Just amazing piece.

3 Likes

That’s going to look amazing when finished! I would oil the Mahogany before you clear coat it, but that’s just me. Either way it’s going to pop. I think I would prefer the wenge over bocote when paired with the Mahogany and it’s reddish tint.

1 Like

Griff, you might want to check out Highline Guitars on YouTube. He has a huge number of videos on guitar building. While you’ve already built the body and neck, I’m sure there are a number of assembly and finishing tips you can pick up from him.

Terry

1 Like

Yep, he’ll be on my list of “credits” when I write my wrap-up post.

@ccm I’m thinking I’ll try TruOil for the entire work, have you ever used it? It’s all over the instrument forums now.

Prior to learning of it I was thinking pure Tung oil with citrus solvent. It requires a considerable time investment as my experience has been a minimum of 5 coats.

I use TruOil on guitars I have made. Easy to apply and great natural finish. I like they way it wears with use… giving a natural “roadworn” look in a few years. If you don’t like the natural wear then truoil is easy to refinish unlike lacquers and varnishes.

4 Likes

I think I’m gonna like TruOil just fine especially if it’s as durable as you say! By far the easiest oil finish I’ve ever done. It builds like nothing I’ve used before. I think 3 coats would do but since it is so easy, what the heck, go for 5 or 6. In one day.

Epoxied the U-channel StewMac truss rod in the neck today.

Also cut a neck caul to support the neck for fret work. Super easy to do, hid all bodies, made the first and twelfth fret radii visible and used them to loft a cut through a body I formed around the radii. Haha, I wouldn’t have had a clue how to do that before this little project.

Also on the to-do list, make a fret wire radius tool as well as radiused fret setter.
Moving along…

11 Likes

You may enjoy this video of an acoustic guitar build. I find it fascinating,

4 Likes