Hardcore Aluminum milling on an S3

Customer is pulling the trigger on material

Two blocks of 20x6.5x4 for these custom plenum press dies. Starts out something like 60lbs lol

7 Likes

Think I remember you using a linear shaft on your other S3, feel the linear rail makes more difference (even with the less leverage do to mounting locations)?

@DanStory I haven’t really had a chance to truly test the new rail but its worlds above the other in just smoothness.

5 Likes

@RichCournoyer your homemade single flute thread is saving my butt tonight! Thank you for sharing that info sir, four tries to get it right.

1 Like

Thanks to Ed Kramer and Richard
Success on the first shot

On today’s episode of “Things Vince does that shouldn’t work but do”

Homemade single point 0.250 threadmill made from a 1/4-28 hss tap and cnc threadmilling a 3/8-32 thread.

Link to Richards thread on threadmilling https://community.carbide3d.com/t/thread-milling-in-metal-on-the-shapeoko-3/5332

3 Likes

How did you make your switch insert there? Screened? Printed?

( I ask because it looks nice, and that sort of thing is what I do for a living)

That sticker dial face came with the kit, was thinking about engraving but its actually great for indexing.

1 Like

dont mind me, just trying to embed a vid

9 Likes

V bit testing, stock s3

2nd op Sundays

4 Likes

2op only, one endmill.
They weight nothing and fit perfect
Overjoyed

Oh…stubs can cut brass and hardened steel, still going strong. Coating is wearing off but this little guy has been through a lot… and starting on another 3x9.5x1.5 block right now.

6 Likes

Stumbled upon this video, which was really interesting watching him slowly upgrade the OpenBuilds MiniMill to use linear rails, and the difference it made, along with a couple other rigidity improvements:

Really showed the improvements going from [solid] v-wheels to linear rails.

4 Likes

Pretty decent results from his experiments but that chatter was tough to listen to lol. Finally sounds better in the end but the S3 in stock form seems more capable.

Been toying around with building a mini mill

1 Like

Thanks Dan, I agree that the before/after was very enlightening, that guy did a great job explaining everything.

Four more parts underway

7 Likes

Three sets of radiator brackets done, one set to coating. Next up a little double sensor bracket action

Word on the street, hexy is the new sexy

We all know the shapeoko is never going to be a super precise machine, however in my line of work, having this ability is leaps above most. I’ll be a happy man if I never have to bend sheet metal by hand again!

6 Likes

You really need one of these then:

:wink:

Dan

2 Likes

Call me crazy
But the hard way teaches better lessons
:wink:

not a fish eye lens

2 Likes

Funny, when I was in the military the only way you knew you were in the squadrons Airframes shop is because they had a vice :wink: I was a little luckier, I worked at a little deeper level of aircraft maintenance, we had manual brakes, shears and rollers. Now I work with vendors that have all sorts of cool stuff, while I’m stuck at my desk :man_facepalming:

Dan

1 Like

Yeah while very useful and the price is right, it makes my Swag 20T finger break look very basic. Like the song says: If I had a million dollars…