Hardcore Aluminum milling on an S3

ha, that was awesome! really dig the bus project @vince.fab

Typo alert: “In a small town south of Austin, Vince Ramirez greets each morning with a desire to crate”.

“crate” -> “create”. :wink:

Yeah it’s minor… but like… its PR material so should prob be fixed. :slight_smile:

Typo alert:

“create” → “crate”

:wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure Vice crates everything he creates! :wink:

Gah. Brain-based auto-correct. :smiley:

1 Like

I just stumbled on this interesting video.

1 Like

@gmack That’s the same video that got me cutting with high DOCs. I don’t cut enough aluminum to be good at it, but it’s fun to go with a 15mm DOC.

1 Like

No go on that, only 0.19 nm torque.

@Vince.Fab For a “Hardcore” alum milling challenge in a different direction… this does look like alum… doesn’t it?

https://opensourceleg.com/how-to-make/

Note they have .STEP files there (Fusion 360 can load them), and the pieces all look like stuff that could be done on a (calibrated) 3-axis CNC. Like an S3.

Note they’re quoting ~$15.6k for the machining. Wow.

There’s a video about the project, which puts it in context:

Seems like a positive thing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow the actuators and encoders only are almost 10K. I wonder if there are cheaper alternatives.

2 Likes

Yeah, similar thought here. :slight_smile:

OG S3 fully upgraded and running great! Probably going to add a new base and two 6" vises.

Carbide Create Pro is pretty cool too! Photo to 3d machining easy peasy

6 Likes

OG? Not sure what that means.

1 Like

In my neck of the woods it stands for “Original Gangster”

It’s the first S3 I bought with MDF bed and drop mounted 6" vise

3 Likes

That does look like a really good challenge and I actually have a very simplified version of that in the works. A sports oriented prosthetic ankle/foot for a friend of mine.

One reason the S3s haven’t been running as much is because of the sheer difference in ridgidity seen in the Nomad and even the Bantam.

We are almost ready to move into the new shop and that requires $$$, which sucks because I don’t particularly like to whore out.

New projects coming, maaaaybe not robots but still cool.

No worries. If you’ve any interest in having a chat to the people working on that Open-Source Leg project, they’re friendly. Can put you in contact with them, or you can grab the contact details of their main person direct from the website (it’s in the footer of all their pages). :slight_smile:

Interestingly, was chatting about rigidity and vibration characteristics recently with a (very, very knowledgable) CNC builder veteran who used to work for SpaceX (creating CNC machines).

Apparently although rigidity is important, dampening vibrations is also critical. Hmmm, I’ll cut-n-paste what he wrote, as it was the first time it’s been explained in a way that sunk in (for me). Apologies for the wordiness:

He went on to explain:

Epoxy granite was mentioned as a good vibration dampening material for this purpose.

Maybe something to add to the upcoming things-to-try-out list? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m already sand filled on one, took about 20 pounds.

With a linear X I can actually see 0.001 height difference when facing in steps, probably due to the bearings on the delrin wheels.

8 Likes

6 Likes

How is the center made to make a bushing like the one Vince shows us?.

1 Like

To make a bushing out of solid stock I would use the other set of jaws to hold it on the outside well. Then run an adaptive clearing operation then bore to finish the inside.

Or buy a lathe! Lol

1 Like