Hardcore Aluminum milling on an S3

When you get that o ring fit just right

The 0.125 viton was easy, the 0.0625s…well, should make for a fun night.

5 Likes

Ah, thanks @DanStory, I didn’t think of using a dead blow for that.

That makes sense Vince. That’s how I do it with my current plate setup, I just didn’t know there was another way you use. I like the scraper idea and should sharpen one to do just that. Thanks!

I use a heavy duty scraper like this one. It has a sharp edge, and I will occasionally have to file it smooth again if I’m rough on it.
My aluminum plate is surfaced flat with few holes. I try to get under the bottom layer of tape to avoid scratching the part. I don’t have a problem with scratching my table.

5 Likes

It’s amazing how beautiful metal can appear simply by being machined well.

1 Like

We aren’t done yet :grin:

7 Likes

insert cookie monster gif

Fitting.

The new Xl first cuts (in metal) are the last ones to finish this project. Setup and fixturing/cutting tonight.

Stock with upgrade 9mm belt drive Z. Machine is going to become a Horizontal soon to aid in chip clearing and increase spacial efficiency.

#doubledown

10 Likes

My kinda inlay :kissing_heart:

9 Likes

I love love love your work keep impressing me please

Jon

1 Like

If it is not too commercial a question what would you charge for the above part just out of curiousity more than anything really :grin::grin:

@Sherpa thank you for the kind words! This has been a big learning experience for me and actually I am only charging the customer for materials. He is someone ive known for quite some time and its been a dream to make him parts for years and years.

This is his car the last time he was at the track. A real deal road race car, global time attack. Planning on 800-1000whp of just traction and speed. Definitely an awesome test to my parts and it took a good amount of thought and engineering to design something worthy.

5 Likes

Fastest Shapeoko made parts? Maybe. Its awesome being able to machine your friends cool stuff for their racecars and not charge them an arm/leg.

Should be in the 7s soon enough :grin:

7 Likes

Omg @WillAdams dude if this does not deserve a special one off forum title / badge for @Vince.Fab I don’t know what does!

Please can I beg you for the following, I would like to suggest the new badge is called “back to the future” as in when this car passed 88mph you are about to see some serious S03" lol or if that is too long could we have “173+ Club”

I will not write a wall of text justification I will let a well known slogan do that for me. “Because he is worth it”

Over you you Will :grin::grin::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Jon

(Edit got mph wrong!! dam it Jim you had one job!)

5 Likes

I stayed up really late reading all this after finding your thread. I totally enjoyed watching this whole journey up to the awesome looking race car above! You are truly talented and have filled my head with ideas. I’m sure people would be interested in you detailing your favorite mods on your ShapeOkos. It looked like you experimented a lot with trying things and then removing some. Your advice will carry a lot of weight as we all know that you have tested the machines out way more than most of us ever will. Keep creating beautiful pieces of metal!

7 Likes

Any updates on the proximity switches for the Shapeoko / HDZ?

Moving slowly, unfortunately we’ve had delays due to the Corona virus…

4 Likes

:drooling_face:

12 Likes

Metal is fun (not fun) when using massive amounts of energy to melt everything together. Things had to be pressed and lightly beaten to get everything to line up again. Next time, I’ll add more tolerance for movement. This one was a journey…but light in sight

14 Likes

Vince, that’s some seriously good work, that’s a really complex part. Was the warping issue mainly getting the two halves of the manifold to seal again? Any tips for how to handle this other than bolt it down to a big heat sink and hope for the best? I just picked up a TiG and would like to start working on more complex assemblies like this.

1 Like

@kai thank you. To be honest this project was a little out of my comfort level. The warping was due to a few mistakes on my part but it’s quite a long post about how that was dealt with. Gimme a few days if you don’t mind. That way the I can make sense lol.

The customer received the Unicorn and sent test fit photos. So relieved it fit and looks like it should do the job just fine!

Those cone braces deserved two photos :drooling_face:

In other news, the Green monster is healthy after getting a new HeadGames CNC head and performing 50+ psi hits on the street. Should be just over 1000awhp

11 Likes

You are amazing.
The parts you make with a simple Shapeoko are incredible.