Have tried all day, but can't get it right

turttle shell testing.c2d (664 KB)"

I have tried everything I can to get a simple 3D model for a turtle shell and I get nothing. I have CCPro, and have listened to the “tutorial” on youtube by Chris Powell to the extent that I think I can say the whole tutorial by heart!

Somehow, no matter how many times I follow what I think he is saying, I still get either a flat turtle, or a complete cutout of all the parts, which is no good either.

I must just be the dumbest follower of these “tutorials” in the world. Just so frustrating.

I tried to open this file and it’s empty.
Can you resend/reupload?

It’s a CC V7 file.

20 characters

1 Like

What are you trying to do with this file?

Here’s one possible approach/design:

Select the rectangle and model it as a flat 0.25" surface:

this will get you a block for the design:

Then select the outer perimeter of the shell and model it as a rounded form:

(but it will be necessary to ungroup things)

which yields:

(note that you need to scale the height to ensure that it doesn’t go too high)

Then select everything else and model it as a rounded form lifting up a suitable distance and again scaling:

which I believe yields the desired result:

Then for the toolpaths, select the area which you wish to cut out — usually it’s best to offset to the outside by the endmill diameter plus 10%:

Then a pair of 3D roughing and finishing passes:

Note that the usual technique is using ball-nosed endmills and gradually working down to smaller sizes:

If desired, one can go even smaller:

If this doesn’t help, please describe what you are trying to do and we’ll do our best to assist.

3 Likes

That appears to be what I’m looking to get, but I’m so tired at this point, I’m going to wait till tomorrow to try to understand.

One of the challenges I have, and I guess it’s just my computer and eyes, but trying to read the settings on your posting on the left side, it pretty small and even trying to zoom in only increases the written text, and not the actual settings your are changing on each screen. That may not make sense, but I’m probably just too tired tonight.

Thanks and I’ll try again in the morning.

If you click on the image, you should then get an option “Original Image” which will open the image itself and allow you to zoom in and out and pan around the image.

1 Like

First off…THANK YOU…again. This is what I’m looking for.

Questions:

1. Is there some “instructions” that detail all the options for ROUND, FLAT, ANGLE. in the shape parameters selections? Seems like while they may seem self explanatory, they are not necessarily so.

2. What do the “heights limits” mean/do?

3. In the “merge type” selection, how do these work? ie. ADD or Sub from ??what?? Also what about MIN.MAX. Multiple (to what?), Equal. These seems to do different things at different times.so not very sure how to use them.

4. What does the “Base Height” mean…is this different than the thickness setting in the project setting area?

It would really be nice if there were some/more/better/??? tutorials on this area. I know there is a lot of power/capability in this, but is it all fly by the seat of your pants and try to learn?

Sorry to be so slow to learn, but I’m kind of a visual type and just playing with a lot of different settings can get very frustrating.

One other thing, once you try some setting in the MODEL SHAPE area, the EDIT doesn’t give you all the settings so you have to write them down separately, delete the component and start all over again.
Is there anyway that the EDIT of a component can have ALL the setting brought back for EDIT/REVIEW. Would make trial/error a lot easier.

Again, thanks for all your help. This is my first really big try at 3D so we will see how it goes.

1. See:
  1. Limit/scaling height changes how it will be modeled elevation-wise

2. Adding/subtracting is done relative to all the previous 3D components. Min. or Max. bias towards the lowest modeled point or the highest.

3. Base height allows one to set a solid flat surface which the shape is then modeled from.

The tool is perfect for visual learning — draw a shape and model it, then change settings to see what ach does — except that once a shape is modeled one has to delete it and re-create it to access all the settings.

The link above has some additional tutorials.

If there’s something which you are trying to do which you are having difficulty doing, let us know the specifics and we will do our best to walk through it w/ you.

I have followed the info you laid out, three times now and I get the following. The “turtle back” should be as high as the thickness of the material (ie. 1.0- 0.25), but does not show up that way in the simulation. Instead it shows up almost flat, but does leave some kind of “sticks” standing up at various locations around the turtle back???

Obviously I’m still doing something wrong, but can’t seem to find out what.

Well, not sure what happened, but the file size has gone from the 664K size to almost 12MB and won’t load into this forum. No idea why it is so large now. :frowning:

Show the settings you are trying for the turtle back.

I used:

Shape: Round
Angle: 45.000
Height Limit: Scale Height
Height: 0.625

Merge Type: Add
Base Height 0.000

I used those exact settings. Of course, I can’t show them to you since the only way to get back to them, since they don’t show up in “edit”, is to delete the componet and start again. Which I have done three times now.

I guess since the file is now so big I can’t load it, I will have to start from scratch and try again.

Each of the second and third iterations of the design, I very slowly reviewed you screen and then ALT/TAB to my design to ensure that all was exactly the same.

No idea what is going on.
I’ll try again.
Thanks

What seems to be happening is that every time I delete and redo a component in the model area, the overall file size grows…like it is keeping everything even though it was deleted?? Does that make sense?
File size is now 12.5MB

Start over.

Download your file:

https://community.carbide3d.com/uploads/short-url/aiya10YlzH7BEjTmgX8aiqGQMy6.c2d

Delete the two components so as to have a clean slate:

Then try each step in turn:

Select the rectangle

Shape: Flat
Height: 0.25

which models as:

Select the shell, go back to the design tab:

Ungroup

Select only the outer geometry:

3D model it:

Shape: Round
Height 0.625

which models as:

Select all the details of the shell and 3D model them:

Angle: 85
Height 0.125

which models as:

Select the rectangle and go back to the design tab:

Offset to the outside by endmill diameter plus 10%:

Apply

With the offset geometry selected, create 3D roughing and finishing toolpaths:

Unfortunately, the file is too large to post here.

Please mail the 12.5MB file you have in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll e-mail you the not quite 7MB file which I just made.

I guess this just can’t be done.
I started all over again, from scratch. Saved the file at each stage.
Stage one; just the imported svg file with the turtle back; 96KB
Stage two added box to outside; 98KB
Stage three resized turtle back; 102.4KB
Stage four added offset to box; 106KB
Stage five Model shape/outer box (flat;0.25;add); 106.5KB
Stage six Model outer turtle shell only (round; 0.625/scaled) 6.5MB

Stage seven Model turtle shell back (round;80;scaled;0.125) 11.8MB

Stage eight: rough tooling with 1/4 ball and finish tooling with 1/8 ball;
File size 12.56MB

AND the simulation pic is FLAT??

I guess my truck just seems to keep running over it! :face_with_thermometer:

Please mail the file in to support@carbide3d.com

If you’d like to try re-creating it again, posting screen grabs of each step, we’ll gladly try to troubleshoot things w/ you.

EDIT: At the toolpath stage are you selecting everything? Or only the rectangle offset geometry?

FURTHER EDIT: managed to get the file size down by editing a toolpath and cancelling

turtle shell 3D model.c2d (3.0 MB)

Lastly, please check in at:

and do a video tutorial on 3D modeling — I’m sure if you let the person know about this forum thread that they’ll be able to walk through it w/ you.

Thanks for your help. I just forwarded the 18MB file to the support group, to your attention, Will.

Sorry I’m seems to be so thick headed, but just can’t seem to get it to work the way you have detailed out to me.

I’ll keep trying for sure.

THANKS

One problem is that you have modeled things so that the height of the stock is exceeded (that’s what the red in the 3D model view indicates):

If you increase the stock thickness so that that doesn’t happen:

the Toolpaths will then be able to make something which looks like the design which you are making — if you select a region which allows the cutting to be done as it ought.

All geometry, except for the offset geometry which should be used for the 3D toolpath is selected:

If you actually want to cut out the turtle shell alone, you will need to select the perimeter of that and use it for the 3D toolpaths:

which should cut as expected:

Thanks for looking at it. Not sure why/how it got to deep/thick as I set the thickness in the setting, but will try again and see if I can use what you have suggested.

THANKS for the help.
Frank

I believe you either entered the wrong height to extrude to, or missed choosing “Scale Height”.

Tried again with no luck.
Here is the pic of the screen from the Model stage.

Then this is what I get with the rough and finish toolpaths

Don’t know why?