HDM Fixture Plate - DIY

I got the SST lube-cube and love it. However, the stock reservoir is not good for alcohol based coolants. I had to swap mine out with a polypropylene based res. Polycarbonate gets really brittle from contact with alcohol.

4 Likes

I do love this forum. Another “good to know”.

Care to provide a link to the reservoir referenced?

This is what I got. I just took all the hardware off of the original res and put it on this.

You want the version without the pressure relief button.

1 Like

Got 1/2 the holes done yippee!

Stayed with the three flute 5mm stub drill, learned a bit.

7 Likes

Care to share the lesson with us?

Most of it is here: Is milling your own fixture plates worth it?

Will update when I’ve completed.

Thanks Griff

20 characters

Found some drill time today, last half of 3100 or so holes! Now I just need to chamfer and threadmill the 2nd half.

6 Likes

Looking good!

I used a small water filter housing and NTP to 5/16 quick connect pneumatic tubing hooked up to a compressor. Outlet is a 1/8 tube pushed in to the 5/16 that acts as a straw inside the housing. I built a weird janky system where the air for both the mister and air last comes from the same tube with a y splitter but from testing with a generic Amazon mister it works pretty well.

1 Like

Ok, so the container is pressurized, that should make the flow much more consistent.

It’s threading time, finally!

8k, 1000mm/min, 1mm thread pitch, 1.24 pitch diameter offset, multiple passes, 2, 0.15mm stepover, spring pass.

11 Likes

And…ta-da, it’s finished! I am really happy with this, Works perfectly with the Saunders mod vises. It’s soooo shiny too!!

19 Likes

That is really nice work there, very shiny, I’d spend as much time cleaning it as milling :wink:

2 Likes

And now we’re all looking forward to the artistic projects that come off of your shiny new fixture plate!

1 Like

We’ll see, i suppose cutting gears and such could be called artistic?

1 Like

Wow Griff, that looks amazing! How much was the giant piece of aluminum?

1 Like

~$300 + shipping from Midwestern Steel. ATP5 cast plate.

3 Likes

Plus $2k in time and 2 years off your life from stress :joy:

1 Like

Some truth to that.

But, no point in having a machine like an HDM if you are not going to learn to exploit its capabilities.

Having managed this I am confident I can knock out the same or variations thereof easily with minimum stress/time. Example, I’ve already cut a secondary wasteboard to protect the plate when working on wood projects.

It’s all FUN stuff as far as I’m concerned.

6 Likes

Absolutely. I would have been nervous with every plunge though.

1 Like