HDM Y Covers, source or manufacture

I really like this, I have some leftover 2" brush stock and was looking to do something just like this. I will await what you think of it before mounting mine.

1 Like

Brushes alone seem to do well. I do think I’ll add matching brushes to the outside covers to fully enclose the Y channels.

10 Likes

Nailed it Josh, thanks for posting this.

1 Like

Note:
My HDM has usually been dead-on after homing compared to the last homeong procedure. But as of late I was seeing some variance in X between homing sequences. Today I tracked it down to the brushes compacting in between the X carriage and side plates during homing. I cut a gap where the machine homes and the issue disappeared. So if you add brushes I suggest a couple of things:

Use 2" or 2.5" long brushes…max. mine are 3" and I will be cutting them down. That reduces the brush material that can interfear.

Cut a gap in the right rear of the brushes where the machine homes. If you are cutting a project at the max of the travel in X, remove the brushes for that job.

4 Likes

What SMW Plates are you using?

In using the first, 2 plate version.

Cool thanks, I am thinking of using a similar setup so the edges are able to be clear for chips.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.