HDZ Settings for $112 and $122

What settings does the new CC use for $112 and $122 (Z speed and acceleration)? I want to see if the recommendations have changed.

I thought I remember some earlier post that had faster settings than the $112 = 1000 & $122 = 200 somewhere but can’t find it again. I’m going to do some 3D carving and want to see how much I can get out of the HDZ with a Dewalt on it. It’s lighter than a 2KW spindle so I figure I might be able to push it more to save hours on the next carve.

I see a Carbide3D document that has a standard Shapeoko using $112 = 5000 and $122 = 400 so it’s why I’m asking

1 Like

Hi Gary

It is 1000 for feed and 100 for acel.

You can go easily go faster but you can stall the axis if your not careful. In most cases you don’t want to be plunging faster than 1000mm a min…

It’s not down to weight it’s the power of the motor converting rotary motion into linear. I have had a HDZ traveling at 30,000 mm with a 1000 mm acceleration. Obviously not on a shapeoko and it’s not recommended.

In your case bump the feeds but go very steady on acceleration. You are only working with 24v and 120oz motors.

Luke

3 Likes

Reading your reply I found out where I originally saw a discrepancy. In your own HDZ instructions on the Beaver site you have $122 set to 100 in one place and 200 in another place. My machine is currently set to 200 and I’ve not had issues with it.

2 Likes

There is a fine balance to strike between acel and feeds. You will find you can increase the speed and lower the acel or increase the acel and lower the feed.

I think you could plunge at 5000mm a min if you lowered acel to 100.

1000 and 100 is a little cautious, but I’d rather be cautious than over optimistic.

3 Likes

Having designed motor drivers for high volume production printers/typewriters, I understand your caution especially when you’re designing a system that must work across large production runs. If you’re doing a “one-off” you can be much more aggressive than if you’re trying to build millions of them.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.