GRBL settings for the HDZ

Ok, I’ve been scouring the forums for a comprehensive list of the most current HDZ settings in GRBL. Essentially I have a bunch of custom settings and I really don’t want to use CM to set up the HDZ only to have to go back and a tweak a bunch of stuff. Ive seen some of winston’s settings here Testing More Aggressive GRBL Settings. Theres also some discussion on this post as well HDZ Settings for $112 and $122. But as far as I can see there’s no real complete list. So what changed, and what is everyone using?

I don’t think there’s much to it other than the $102, $112, and $122 settings. I’m running classic precision omron switches, and I don’t like the switch-smashing feel of increased homing speeds.

2 Likes

I’m seeing on the high end $112 =1400, $122 =200. What I haven’t found is $102. @neilferreri I know you use CNCjs quite a bit. Do you use soft limits, and if so what do you have it set too for the HDZ? I feel like I should NEVER hit the bottom of the lead screw but the safety would seem nice.

Also where did you get the switches Digikey, I heard a rumor that Luke was working on a set for the XXL but I’m comfortable sourcing my own if the price is reasonable.

As far as the steps per mm ($102):
360°/1.8°=200 steps per rev.
200 * 8 (microstep) = 1600 steps per revolution.
1600/5mm per revolution = 320 steps/mm

I don’t. I don’t know why. Maybe its the adrenaline that comes from the chance my machine might tear itself apart.

Pretty sure my extent is 150, but I can check when I get home (doing some post bedtime work).

I still have my originals, back in the day when it was cool to add them with the “Limit Switch upgrade”. I have purchased extras from DigiKey. These ones.
I’ve looked for “precision” switches, but you’re talking 10x the cost, and I’ve seen machines use cheap limit switches that are pennies a piece. I’m waiting for someone to compare repeatability on the physical switch vs the cheap prox switches. Mine are sub mm accurate.

6 Likes

Guess I could have just asked what the uSteping was, thanks !

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Please do, but 150 seems reasonable.

I misread that, I thought you were using inductive prox switches. I too hate that soul puckering sound of a switch slamming into a metal plate.

right at the bottom

2 Likes

… This is probably posted in at least 4 different threads on here. I wish I’d known what I was looking for. I found the video you did for assembly which was pretty helpful by the way, but this would have been really good to have as well. I know carbide has the dock, but there’s still a couple nits worth picking.
To all the future people that read this, just click on Luke’s link.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.