My Shapeoko has been sitting on metal storage shelves so an enclosure or table of some sort has been long overdue. It’s still a work in progress but I’m sharing what I’ve done so far.
I decided to go the enclosure route and set forth the following requirements.
- 2x4’s and 3/4" plywood with wood glue and Spax screws.
- Lexan sheets for the door windows.
- Rotary mount for my touchscreen CNC controller
- VFD mounted on side of the exterior (I just acquired a 1.5KW spindle)
- The front opening needs to be tall enough for me to access it without squatting down.
- Lockable caster wheels so I can move it myself since I haven’t finalized the placement of my machine tools yet.
- Platform to hold water pump, compressor, and shop VAC.
- Built-in power outlets.
- Lots of interior lighting.
- Solid construction that resists vibration and won’t rack when moving
- A 120V 15A power line for VFD
- A 120V 15A power line for everything else
- Tough moisture resistant interior
- Latch-able rear door for when cutting large material
I used plasti-dip on the exterior, solely because I’ve had gallons of it sitting around for years from a previous project that I wasn’t able to use it for, and I went with deck paint for the interior.