Help! 3XL base is square but carriage is not!

My S3 XL seems to have developed an out of square issue. The base IS square corner to corner, close enough that I can’t tell the difference and the machine hasn’t moved since it was built.

However, sometime over the last few months it’s developed an issue where the carriage is not suqare to the machine. When the left side of the carriage is all the way to the front (carriage side plate touching the front plate), the right side is still about 4mm away. The result is that the things I am cutting are no longer square (they used to be).

Over a short distance it’s not really a problem, but over the full width of the machine pieces could be 3mm - 4mm out, as I found out when I made something this week that I had made a couple of years ago and they don’t match.

I’ve looked at the V-Wheels and all look fine. What else could be causing this and how can I fix it?

1 Like

Remove all the belts and check them, inspect the V-wheels as well.

If all is okay:

Loosen all the hardware and push down on everything and check w/ a square and verify that things are equal corner-to-corner as you tighten things backup.

You should be able to pretty much rebuild a machine to like new using the Maintenance Kit:

and you may want to level, and if need be, replace your MDF baseplate:

Let us know what you find out at support@carbide3d.com and if need be, we have more detailed leveling instructions.

1 Like

My 3XL was out of square when I first assembled it, in exactly the same way as yours is now. The ends of the “X” extrusion were not perfectly square, requiring shims as described in the following old thread:

Not sure why yours went from square to not square, but perhaps it needs shimming…

2 Likes

Thanks - I’ll look in to it.

These posts might help

I’d start by checking the belt tensions.

HTH

3 Likes

Thanks to all who replied. The Coke can shim has got it to sub 1mm which I’m OK with at this time. I’ll spend more time over the weekend checking the belt tensions as per the suggestions above. They have a very similar “twang” sound already, but let’s see how close I can get it :slight_smile:

I wonder if this is at all affected by the cold. It’s pretty much freezing in my garage right now and I don’t usually use the CNC in these temperatures!

Can’t wait for the 5 to arrive…

Yes, temperature shifts will affect this, since aluminum, MDF, and steel all expand/contract differently as the temperature changes.

I had a similar problem, both belts seemed tensioned correctly, but one belt had stretched more causing a difference in steps side to side. Belts are cheap and a consumable.

Also check the motor pulleys, those slipping can cause a similar problem.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.