Help with closing/combining vectors

Im using carbide create V7 free edition, is there a way for me to fix this file so that the state in the background doesnt overlap or run through the letters? Ive attached the file I cut and made intersections like it should look. it would be very nice if there was a way to just close the open vector to the intersecting points that it recognizes. any help is greatly appreciated!!!

this is what I think it should look like
CCS Emblem cut

this is the original SVG, if you open it there are tons of overlapping copies of different parts.
CCS logo
upload://dN08K754TzaTH7QU6voKP5fM1bp.svg

Please upload your CC file

Anthony

See:

I’ll upload it as soon as I get back to my pc

CCS logo.c2d (1.4 MB)

Looks like you had the right idea with the jumper.

Now you just need to do the same with the rest of the shapes.
But you can do it easily using booleans.
Just select the closed shape of the state first, and one of the objects that overlaps it second,
Then do a boolean subtract. Check “Keep Original Vectors”

Now delete the original state vector, and keep the jumper.

The new state vector has the cutout for the jumper. Repeat with all other overlapping vectors.

2 Likes

When opened in Inkscape your file has the appearance:

and is typical of the sort of thing folks churn out using Illustrator (because of course trapping and any subsequent usage aren’t the problem of the person drawing in AI).

What is wanted is a purely outline representation as noted above, ideally a b/w version which is outlines only, so that there is no overlapping geometry (in addition to removing all the intersections).

Opening it in a vector editor we get:

But the outline view shows the problem:

All of the strokes need to be expanded, then unioned so as to create a workable set of outlines.

The skydiver highlighted above shows the problem quite clearly:

Splitting it we get the outer and inner geometries separately:

and we may then Boolean Union the outer:

with the composite outline of the state:

(In Altsys Virtuoso that command in the pop-up main menu structure was a quick gesture to access)

Then, the inner outline:

can be Joined with the composite path:

Repeat that for each other element which has a grey outline:

Problems of Figure-ground Reversal as previously discussed:

argue for changing the white outline around the smaller text into part of the overall outline — this will be much easier to cut and assign toolpaths to.

Here is the file in its present state for the reader who wishes to experiment with other options:

CCS logo.pdf (83.0 KB)

Unioning the text outline:

allows us to repeat the previous operations:

arrives at an outline which should be workable:

Except of course, that it was made in Adobe Illustrator belike:

So all the open paths, which should be closed need to be closed:

Fortunately, there is a Graphics Find Replace feature for that:

So hang on while I fix the remaining 374 objects.

1 Like

After a bit of adjustment we arrive at:

which when exported to an SVG

CCS logo

and re-imported into Carbide Create:

Is easily assigned a suitable toolpath:

Attached as a v7 file — please adjust geometry, toolpaths, tooling selection, &c. as desired.

CCS logo_v7.c2d (564 KB)

(I would be much younger and far less grey if I could reclaim all of the time in my life I have spent on fixing Adobe Illustrator files)

1 Like

thanks for all the tips and tutorials, you guys are far far better than I am, but Im getting there!!

I like that find tool for open paths, then looked up the program you are using and saw it was discontinued in 2003… LOL

No, it wasn’t discontinued.

It was bought almost ten years to the day that Adobe was told that they had to wait a decade before buying any competitors, then shipped off to offshore support in India, then never updated because it would hurt Adobe for Illustrator not to be their flagship product.

Companies should not be allowed to compete with their wallets by buying out and shutting down the competition.

1 Like

So it’s still available somewhere? I can’t seem to find it.

My understanding is that it’s available under long-term support — you have to buy a site volume license (qty 1) from a vendor which specializes in that, plus the license/auditing software, plus a copy of the physical media.

I have a copy 'cause I got one for being a beta-tester for Freehand/MX.

There are two efforts at a successor:

• Serif’s Affinity Designer

which is mostly okay (but drives me nuts for the couple of keyboard shortcuts/modifiers it doesn’t support — I used to user Freehand 40+ hours a week, they’re all ingrained in my nervous system/drawing processes)

• GraviT — these folks actually stumped for donations under the name Quasado and I gave them more than I could really afford at the time, but I was quite hopeful for a while

https://cloud.gravit.io/signin

(which got bought by Corel when I wasn’t looking — see above rant and insert here)

Ah ok, that seemed like a pretty simple tool. Still learning how to use Adobe suite and the million different tools they have and it’s been a challenge.

Since Adobe Illustrator was the first program, it didn’t have the advantage of learning from its mistakes as other programs did and many of these mistakes are instantiated in the UI of the program and its file formats making it far more complex than it needs to be.

The nice thing is, once one learns some other similar program, the same concepts apply (just you’ll be annoyed at the Byzantine complexities of AI when you have to use it).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.