Help with creating a design

I’ve been stuck on creating this design for about 3 days and I’ve had zero luck with getting it to look the same. Any help would be appreciated! Attached is what I have created and the picture it’s supposed to look like. thanks Hospital Door Hanger.c2d (485.3 KB)

What would really help with this, is if you had a flat image of it, either a scan or a photograph.

That way you could import it in to Carbide Create and - short version - draw around it.

For the long version, there are plenty of guides on here on how to do it - like this one where Will talked me through the very same question: (Importing a file or a backgound image).

2 Likes

To get you closer, it might help to look at that shape as four ellipses overlapping each other.

3 Likes

Or, just draw it with the Curve tool — first inset by 0.25 (grid spacing and delete the original (this so that snapping to node won’t interfere):

Then just draw:

dupe and mirror:

and adjust by going into Node Edit:

It will help to do this to the original outline as well:

and to Boolean union them so that one has a uniform and symmetrical original to work from:

and drawing in additional geometry to help with the symmetry:

As you finish a feature, flip the part which you are working on in place:

and adjust the rotated geometry.

Interestingly, it is possible to select multiple pieces of geometry and go into Node Edit:

Eventually one arrives at:

Attached.

door hanger redrawn.c2d (15.5 KB)

Finishing it is left as an exercise for the reader.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for showing step by step how you did it! Very much appreciated!

I was thinking two ellipses and a squircle (spell check/correct really doesn’t like that word), but I guess I’m more nerdy than most.

Will, is it possible in CC to do half or quarter of the shape and then mirror it for a more perfect symmetry?

Yes, mirror/flip, then Boolean union — the problem with doing that is one gets a polyline which isn’t easily edited after.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.